ad: AbAuRe-1

Amateur Radio Today on Roku

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N9INK, Aug 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N9INK

N9INK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    De N9INK
    Ozark Digital has launched a tv channel on Roku and we are looking for like minded hams that might be interested in doing a show or series on the status of Amateur radio today. If you like making videos this is your opportunity to get on tv. Also if you have a youtube channel, this is another avenue to drive traffic to your channel.
    Videos should be 4K and saved in mp4 format.
    Questions, call 479-387-1744

Thanks & 73,

Curtis - N9INK

KC0KEK, K0UO and N5XMV like this.
  2. W5XCW

W5XCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’d watch it , especially the adventurous ones .

N9INK likes this.
  3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just watched an episode and I have to be honest I was not impressed. The episode involved the international space station sending out a mayday.

I'll explain:

ISS sending out mayday on HF frequencies. Why when they have excellent communications? The international MAYDAY frequency is for terristiral issues. I'm sure the ISS has a better way of transmitting a call for help.

Earth bound ham receives MAYDAY call on an old Hallicrafters receiver and replies with a bogus call sign. It's an old Hallicrafters receiver, not a transmitter or transceiver.

Why would the astronaut performing the space walk have HF in his space suit, when he has multiple redundant systems built in, and how wold he transmit back to the earth bound ham on HF?

Very cheesy and cheap. This contributes to the general public's impression of amateur radio operators.

N2UHC and PY2NEA like this.
  4. N9INK

N9INK Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is you have no sense of humor. You should probably be on Joe Biden's staff.
    My only question to you is: How many times did you watch it to extract all that insight? You forgot to mention he swapped tubes.....lol

73 & lighten up dude!

5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I think it's because the general public has the perception of amateur radio as being old boat anchor radios, so whenever someone does a video portraying ham radio they use old boat anchor radios. When in reality they should be showing modern high-tech rigs or SDR's.

Kind of like in TV shows or movies, any time they show police doing surveillance in a van, they always show a big old reel-to-reel tape recorder, something that probably no police agency has used in 40 years. I wouldn't even know where to go to find tape reels these days.