ad: AbAuRe-1

Amateur radio telephone conference system

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC2IRV, Nov 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2IRV

KC2IRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, out of an interest of mine and also seeing a need for me that I would like I have created a telephone conference system for amateur radio operators to share information in a real time, full duplex format.
    I like forums but to me they feel far too removed from the discussion that can happen and the give and take in quick succession that full duplex telephone can provide. This is not to take away from radio but to facilitate discussion in a format more suited to round table discussion. I have no idea if anyone else is going to find it useful but it is online and free for anyone to use. If you wish to use the conference system the phone number is 1-803-847-5606
    Let me know what you think.
    73's
    -Joe
    KC2IRV

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny how those involved in amateur radio try to find all kinds of ways to communicate with other radio amateurs that does not use amateur radio.

The advantage with these forums is that one can respond to a topic anytime in the future and the information can be looked up at a later date. It is a repository for information.
    If I am on a phone talking to other hams that I don't know in any personal way, I might as well (and would much rather) be on 20 meters!

3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

? Your FCC address is in New Jersey.

The phone number you quoted is not.
    (803) 847-5606
    Owner's name hidden by Whitepages for privacy reasons

Owner is based in Sumter, SC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Facebook type blogs seem to be pretty fast, compared to the QRZ forums, as do other websites. :)

HF or Echolink are both good places for a rag chew too. :)

4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

i am not sure "i get it". to the op, please describe the circumstance that you see your offering being used for?

i am all for hams being excited and involved in all things electronic, communications, etc. not just radio. i have always considered "radio" just part of this hobby. on a side note, i rarely talk to anyone in advanced electronics support who doesnt have a ham license, and usually for a long time; sometimes they are not "radio active", but they do have licenses, and often use them for some part of communications of experimentation.

so what "problem" or "experimentation" is your open conference call supposed to assist, aid, enable?

there are some real wiz bangs on this site, who must never sleep, because i seem to get a good anser to most "tech emergencies" in minutes, 24/7

5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not certain if this was the OP's intent, but I have been involved in a couple situations where getting a few people conferenced via repeater, via phone, or even via web-conference have been useful in doing a demonstration of a piece of software or getting someone configured (e.g. for a particular digital mode).

6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An Echolink conference would be perfect .

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes useful when conducting EME communications.

8. KC2IRV

The phone number is donated VoIP DID. It is terminated out of Sumter, SC because I did not have a choice of the number they would give me. I thought this would be handy to use for whatever reason you can think of to use it. It didn't cost me anything but a little time to set it up. To be honest, I have given this number to a number of hams explaining what it was and I am surprised how much hostility there is toward it, as if I was trying to kill the hobby or something of the sort. Its a free conferencing system for an Ham or Non ham with a technical background to to use. I am not asking for donations or help or anything from anyone.
    I have my reasons for using something like this and I thought I would offer it to anyone here who would like to make use of it as well.
    I apologize if i have offended anyone.

W4KJG likes this.
  9. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

joe

can you explain more about how it works? anyone calling that number becomes part of an open full duplex conference call? how many callers will it support? are there limitations? costs?

i can see some coordination uses off the top of my head. coms is coms as far as i am concerned, so one more toy in the box is great. hopefully i will remember its there the day i need it

thanx for sharing

10. KC2IRV

Its just a simple full duplex telephone conference, when you call the number you will be presented with a menu selection of which conference you would like to join. The system can support a total of 25 callers due to bandwidth
    limitations. There are absolutely no costs. I am able to due as a piggy-back to a larger project I am using my VoIP telephone switch for.

KT1F likes this.