Amateur Radio Science Experiment at HAARP?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KL4IU, Aug 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this assigned a limited frequency range to operate in and what kind of power are we talking about?
    Tom WA4ILH

KL4IU likes this.
  2. KL4IU

KL4IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom, it will be somewhere around 2.8 - 3.4 MHz for the carrier frequencies, depending on ionospheric conditions. Yes, there is a frequency range limit. WI2XFX is the experimental license, you can see the frequency ranges here: https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=176973&x The amplitude modulation range will be 20Hz-6KHz. HAARP is capable of 3.6 mega Watts, but I don't believe the array is fully restored since it had been in storage. I'm not sure exactly what will be available. If I were to guess conservatively it would be around 2MW. More than enough power for the Luxembourg effect. Almost half way there on the fund raiser!

Jeff
    KL4IU

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The actual RF output power of HAARP with all the elements running is 3.6 MW, but the ERP is about 1GW. Even with a severely reduced array, the ERP is going to be at least 100MW, I'd guess.

Eric

KL4IU likes this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Intereting document Eric. I notice that your authorized frequencies go right up to the edges of the international Aeronautical bands.
    Tom WA4ILH

5. KL4IU

6. KL4IU

AD5KO likes this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations! I shall be monitoring.

KL4IU likes this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Alaska has some 'colorful' folks in the history books - Jefferson Randolph Soapy Smith comes to mind.

He used the same methods of operation when he settled in the towns of Creede and Skagway, opening businesses with the primary goal of gently robbing his customers, while making a name for himself. He died in spectacular fashion in the shootout on Juneau Wharf in Skagway.

Motto - "I steal from the other guy and pass the saving on to you "

KL4IU likes this.
  9. KL4IU

My experiment is slated for 9/23 at 9:00 PM (21:00) AKST / 5:00 UT. 2.8 MHz and 3.3 MHz.
    Also, due to a last minute change my time will be rounded up from 12 to 15 minutes. So I will be doing something creative for the last 3 minutes - but I am not sure what just yet!
    I'm on Twitter if you care to follow along @KL4IU. I'll be looking for DX reports!

KL4IU

10. NL7IB

NL7IB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang, all this time I thought this was Chilkoot Charlie's (Mr. Whitekeys) motto.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017