ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio Science Experiment at HAARP?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KL4IU, Aug 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL4IU

KL4IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I'm a new ham from Fairbanks, Alaska. I've been into electronics and physics for some time, but last year got my license. The hobby is huge and I am still exploring different aspects of it. While not on the air much (yet) I am active in building and prototyping. Circumstances have lead me to be interested in radio science. The Luxembourg Effect (ionospheric cross modulation) is an interesting phenomenon which I would like to learn more about. Most of the older hams are probably well aware of the effect. I think that scientists have experimented to some extent and have a firm understanding of it. As an amateur and someone that is just curious, I've decided to try my own experiment. Learn by doing, right? If I can find the funds, there is a chance that my experiment may be performed at the High-frequency Active Auroral Research Project here in Gakona, Alaska. For those not familiar with HAARP, it is an HF ionospheric heater used for ionospheric modification in radio science experiments. There is no profit here, just a chance to do an amateur science experiment. I think that this would also be good for the amateur radio community to follow along, tune in, report, and learn about the Luxembourg Effect. I can't do this without the support of others. If I don't raise all of the funds to do the experiment I will be donating it to HAARP and to our local radio club KL7KC. My goal is only $1,000 - so don't be shy about making a small donation, every bit counts!

If you would please consider making a small donation and share this link with others;
    https://igg.me/at/haarpradioexperiment/x/17133291

Follow along with me on Twitter @KL4IU and see how this adventure goes...

Jeff

2. KI6EFA

KI6EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

wait, you can pay for HAARP time now?

KL4IU likes this.
  3. KL4IU

Yes - it is in the ballpark of $5,000/hr (maybe more). UAF Geophysical Institute is trying to solicit users for scientific research. Money is needed to maintain the facility. So I am trying to see if there is any viability in crowd sourcing and finding other demographics for users of the facility. I really don't want to see the place go away because of a lack of funding. It is really an amazing facility and there's so much basic research that could be done with it. The area of Glennallen and Gakona are fairly economically depressed. HAARP does employ locals, generates some economic activity with visiting guests and hosts an annual open house. It's good for the community. It's good for scientific research in the fields of radio, geophysics, aeronomy, plasma physics, etc. I think it is worthwhile for amateur radio operators and clubs to come up with ideas for using the facility. Experiments, contests, what else?

4. KI6EFA

KI6EFA Ham Member QRZ Page

well, are they subject to part 97 rules? I can think of a few ideas if not :p

KL4IU likes this.
  5. KL4IU

I don't know the correct answer for sure - but I believe that HAARP operates under an experimental license which is exempt from FCC part 97.

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, Jeff is legit. He's the right hand man who helped me get AlasKit off the ground. This is a cool project and can really help put ham radio on the map again. By the way, next Saturday is HAARP open house....they're running buses from the UAF Geophysical Institute, if you happen to be in town. :)

Eric the Endorser

KL4IU likes this.
  7. KL7AJ

To answer that question, HAARP is under the auspices of the NTIA, not the FCC.

KL4IU likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

I still think we can sell male enhancement product ads.

KL4IU likes this.
  9. KL7AJ

10. KL4IU

11. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this assigned a limited frequency range to operate in and what kind of power are we talking about?
    Tom WA4ILH

KL4IU likes this.
  12. KL4IU

Hi Tom, it will be somewhere around 2.8 - 3.4 MHz for the carrier frequencies, depending on ionospheric conditions. Yes, there is a frequency range limit. WI2XFX is the experimental license, you can see the frequency ranges here: https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=176973&x The amplitude modulation range will be 20Hz-6KHz. HAARP is capable of 3.6 mega Watts, but I don't believe the array is fully restored since it had been in storage. I'm not sure exactly what will be available. If I were to guess conservatively it would be around 2MW. More than enough power for the Luxembourg effect. Almost half way there on the fund raiser!

Jeff
    KL4IU

13. KL7AJ

The actual RF output power of HAARP with all the elements running is 3.6 MW, but the ERP is about 1GW. Even with a severely reduced array, the ERP is going to be at least 100MW, I'd guess.

Eric

KL4IU likes this.
  14. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Intereting document Eric. I notice that your authorized frequencies go right up to the edges of the international Aeronautical bands.
    Tom WA4ILH

15. KL4IU