Amateur Radio Parity Act moving forward...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our HOA was going to dictate colors of garbage cans...they thought we should all have the same color......inmates uprising shut that one down.
    The larger community association which does dictate house colors to all the HOAs in our community is now toying with the idea of limiting fence color to a single color. Some one thinks mutilple colored fences are offensive. Inmates are complaining about that one too...remains to be seen what happens.

WJ4U and W5WN like this.
  2. WD0BCT

You haven't noticed that here on the zed? We have number of nit pickers here.

W5WN likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently that's all he's 'got'

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

HRPA - fight for reasonable accommodations!

farm2.jpg

And the FCC will be "Where's Waldo?" on this issue...

K1OIK and WD0BCT like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny part is, a meth lab can be set up anywhere and until it all explodes you'd never know it was there.:)

There was a report here a few years ago about a meth lab set up in a Beverly Hills mansion whose value was >$10 million until they had a fire.:p

Speaking of Beverly Hills, it's not an HOA and towers with Yuge antennas are absolutely allowed. Ted Henry had a 90' tower with beams right next to his house, right at the top of the highest hill (what a view!) for decades and it certainly didn't impact real estate value anywhere around him. You could see his antennas from miles away if you knew where to look (I knew where) but nobody except hams looking for Ted's place would ever do that.

The classiest, priciest neighborhoods in southern California all have no antenna restrictions, or really any restrictions (other than municipal ordinance) I can think of. Bijan's house in Bel-Air (been there) was a 9,000 square foot mansion painted some color between purple and pink, up on a hill for all to see. I thought that was weird, but I guess he liked it. Not sure if it's still like that, since he passed on and his son took over the business.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    KC8VWM and N2EY like this.
  6. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A tower and beam don't hold a candle in ugliness compared to overhead power lines. People tend to block them from their vision yet complain about a modest tower and small beam directly across the street.

However, there are those, like K1VSK, that absolutely don't want them anywhere near their home in the neighborhood. They may have even bought in that neighborhood specifically for that reason.

If the shoe was on the other foot, how would hams react if there was a bill in congress to ban all towers in all non-HOA neighborhoods where they are currently allowed?

AF4LY likes this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

For that as well as many other reasons. It's noteworthy that the most expensive zip code in the country, Fishers Island in Miami, doesn't allow antennas.

It's stating the obvious that I can't speak for everyone here in our HOA but I suspect my neighbors and certainly I couldn't care less what is allowed elsewhere. Unfortunately, it's clear many here living in non-HOA communities seem compelled to interfere in our business. It's monumentally ironic that these people who criticize HOAs for treading on our rights want to do just that.

8. WD0BCT

Our "tightly controlled" HOA had a MC shop set up in the community. Folks were complaining about the number of MCs that would show up and the numerous trucking deliveries at a particular unit that was being rented. HOA said they couldn't do anything about his visitors as long as no noise emissions were being violated. The renter disappeared just a day before the local sheriff showed up looking for him with a warrant for his arrest from out of state. He had obviously been tipped off. When the owner got inside the place the entire first floor was being used for MC maintenance and custom bike business. Carpet had oil stains everywhere and walls were pretty much trashed. MC parts were everywhere. The wall between the garage and the first floor interior had been breeched to move bikes in and out behind a closed garage door which was done at night. We never heard what happened to the renter other than Florida was looking for him for multiple charges including child abduction.

Like anywhere else...rules only apply to those who follow rules.....until they get caught el flagrante.

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But he didn't have any outside antennas, so it was OK.

WJ4U, N2SR, N5PZJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand a lot more than you think. You've made it very clear what you believe.

It is not my "prejudices" which are the issue.

Your words here tell a very different story.

There's so many logical fallacies in that mess that even I won't try to untangle them all.

You've repeatedly called antennas "ugly", "obtrusive" and other negative things. That's a direct personal insult to me and others who take pride in our antennas and our homes.

I think big antennas are beautiful - if done right.

Here's one of my favorites:

[​IMG]
    Is that "ugly"? Is it something no one should have to look at?

You once had a big antenna farm - and now you don't. And it's clear you don't want anyone else to have one - at least, not anyone who lives anywhere near where you live. Why? What is your problem with outdoor antennas?

I for one stand against the conformist HOA/CC&R mindset which steals away people's freedom and property rights, one little rule and clause at a time, until nobody can do anything without approval by The HOA.

What is it you actually fear? That you might have to look at some copper or aluminum aloft? Oh dear, what a horror!

How about people having to get approval from the neighbors before they buy a vehicle? I think some cars are ugly, and I don't want them in my neighborhood....

How about dress codes and such for all residents of your neighborhood, so there aren't ugly people to look at?

-------

I think this "esthetics" thing has taken a wrong turn with some folks. When someone who is a ham says antennas are ugly......

We live in a technological society, with comforts and capabilities undreamed-of not too long ago. Heating, cooling, lighting, all sorts of communications, food storage and preparation, plumbing, clothes washing, and much more. Incredible amounts of it are automated - set a dial and the oven is 350 degrees. Put the clothes and detergent in the washer, close the lid, push a button, and it does the rest. Pick up your smart phone and call someone thousands of miles away, check your bank balance, order dinner, read the news. And so much more.

Yet some folks don't want to see, hear or deal with technology. They want cell phones that work everywhere, but they don't want cell towers. They want cheap, plentiful, reliable energy, but don't want power stations, power lines, substations, refineries, pipelines, or anything else. They want inexpensive consumer goods and services, but don't want to see railroads, highways, or docks, let alone factories, mines, and other industry which makes it all possible.

I say Technology should be visible, and celebrated!

N2SR, W2AI, N5PZJ and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.