Amateur Radio Parity Act moving forward...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you're 100% right.

This thing has teeth.

And current Congress is anxious to pass anything worthwhile, since they actually haven't passed much.:p

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

What you find onerous others find reasonable to maintain the aesthetic and preserve and enhance property values. It's entirely in the 'eyes of the beholder'.
    Last I looked, our AE committee, similar to most in this area, approved over 200 variances just within one 30 day period for any of a myriad things including antennas. Hardly onerous to my perspective.

Regardless of our different viewpoints, this community is among the 5 fastest growing (read - popular) in the United States according to Forbes so we must be doing something right. Maybe not so by someone with a compelling need for obtrusive antennas or the ability to comply with rules like parking, speeding, home maintenance, etc...

I can understand having obtrusive antennas is a desire of some hams but not all. For those who 'have the need', have the respect for others to not interfere in our neighborhoods or usurp our choice to live where antennas are not appreciated. It's that simple.

As to this Bill, it won't change attitude. That can't be legislated. Flexible HOAs already allow reasonable accommodations. Inflexible ones will not alter behavior or action as a result of this but rather will simply codify more onerous definitions of what they consider reasonable. Hence, this whole debate is moot with the only likely result being more onerous rules.

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Still high. But they need rentals to live in too.
    I've been traveling to Memphis for 15 years and the gentrification has been slow and steady.
    The majority of crime is localized for the most part. Poverty is substantial in those areas too. But there are great areas too to live, and I feel safe where I live. My son has lived "in" Memphis for 14 years in a neighborhood (unencumbered by HOA rules btw) of homes valued between $75-135k homes, crime is nonexistent there.
    It doesn't take one long to know where and when one shouldn't be if one watches the local news reports.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Only the lawyers will (continue to) win.
    Two lawyers are ogling a beautiful woman...
    Lawyer #1: "I'd sure like to scrēw her!"
    Lawyer #2: "Out of what?"

Or, maybe not.
    Two assumptions. :p

5. WA7PRC

According to Census, Jacsonville, FL is #13 (among large cities): http.://census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2018/estimates-cities.html
    Seattle (near me) is #6. Still, I had no problem finding a non-HOA property...

"What, me worry?"
    -Alfred E. Neuman

6. WB2WIK

K1VSK is hundreds of miles from JAX, he's closer to Tampa.

Problem: Non-HOA properties in many places are a lot more expensive than HOA properties. They certainly are, here, and they were when I lived in Jacksonville, also. (Well, Atlantic Beach, which is just east of JAX.)

Here in L.A. there are separate R/E listings for "NO HOA" properties. See how much they're listed for. It's higher.

However, most "new construction" in developments or tracts are absolutely HOA properties. So, to afford a non-HOA property, if you want something "new," dig deeply into your pockets.

I see a lot of "non" properties are in places like Beverly Hills; not everyone can afford to live there. It's a conundrum.

7. WA7PRC

You'll note that Jacksonville was the only FL city listed in the link URL I found.

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is a better image of the well constructed "reality antenna" without the bare foot detracting from it....LOL!!:D
    upload_2018-5-25_19-47-29.png

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

In preparation to upgrade a cheesy antenna, I assembled threaded rod to a coupla UHF panel connectors. It was easy enough to tag some wire "radials" onto it and screw a connector onto it. The foot was for size comparison. :D

W2AI likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

Now, if you used Shaquille O'Neal's foot the antenna would look even smaller...:p

WA7PRC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.