Amateur Radio Parity Act moving forward...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So....nobody should ever be allowed to get divorced, then. After all, marriage is a legal contract, and both parties voluntarily signed on for life.

Right?

N2SR likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He offered his honor.
    She honored his offer.
    So, all night long it was honor, offer, honor, offer...

3. WB2WIK

I think that's a really big stretch.

But a dipole strung between two trees in the backyard, or a vertical in the backyard, or small VHF beams on the roof, are pretty unobtrusive and more likely to be approved. A compromise is better than "absolutely NOT!"

4. WB2WIK

How's the crime rate doing in Memphis?

I haven't checked lately, but last time I did it was very high (including homicides), way above the national average. I'd "think" cheap rentals won't improve it, but then who knows? They might.

Last time I was in Memphis was probably a good ten years ago and I spent two days visiting with FedEx. They're so big and so successful and seem to own about half of Memphis (!) -- slight exaggeration, but they have a lot of property and it's very nice -- I was surprised "FedEx money" didn't spread all over and improve the whole city.

5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not exactly the same. In divorce, both parties take what community property they end up with, and go their separate ways.

The ham who signs the HOA agreement, with the intent of reneging is in a difficult position. He or she wants to violate the rules, and expects the rest of the home owners to just suck it in, and live with it.

ND6M likes this.
  6. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks, folks, folks.

I have lived in two HOA controlled communities. Neither time did I sign a contract agreeing to abide by an HOA agreement. The HOA covenants are a deed restriction to one's title, meaning that the items restricted by the HOA are not rights that are included with the property when purchased.

HOAs are not contracts or agreements. You are simply buying a title to property that is missing certain rights. It's very similar to buying property where the mineral rights for the ground below your property are granted to someone else.

7. WB2WIK

^This is a part I don't understand.

Why would anyone have to suck it in (so to speak) if a ham's antennas can't even be seen from their property? They become annoyed simply knowing it's there, even if it doesn't impact them in any way?

Why wouldn't they be similarly concerned about stuff they can actually see and has to be there, which they don't like? Things like light poles or lampposts, maybe a cell tower just outside the development, horrible looking gates...and even satellite (DBS) dishes, which have to be allowed by Federal law, whether they like them or not? With underground utilities there are often "big transformer boxes" (often painted green) above ground at the street edge of properties -- ugly as hell and you have to mow around them and stuff. Take them away!!!

People are so silly. They get used to what "has to be there," and then none of that bothers them...and become very upset when something new crops up, even if that new thing couldn't possibly interfere with their lifestyle, property value or anything else. It's just bad because it wasn't there before.

Nutty.

8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes and no.

Buying a house is complex and expensive. Lots of details, and the system is rigged against the buyer in a whole pile of ways.

One word: OTARD.

So.....nobody should ever be allowed to get divorced, right? Because marriage is a contract and it's for life. Right?

That's easy to say. Rent? How many landlords will allow antennas? How many unrestricted homes are there in various neighborhoods?

Explain how that would work. They move?

Here's the BIG PROBLEM:

Many of us old-timers got our licenses as teenagers. We grew up with ham radio, and if we lived in restricted housing, it was only for a short time. When we started looking into home ownership, one of the most important criteria was "where does the antenna go?".

This doesn't mean a tower with beams, nor a huge vertical. What it means is some sort of usable antenna that is in scale with the property. A dipole between tall trees - a vertical in the back yard - VHF beams on the roof - stuff like that. And maybe a tower if it fits into the property.

Today, a lot of hams are first licensed as adults. They already have homes. Antennas weren't an issue when they bought - now they are. OOPS.

Ever hear of OTARD?

----
    IANAL, but, "private contracts" have been overridden (preempted) by state and federal courts and law many times. It's not a new thing.

It used to be that people would create deed restrictions, covenants, HOA rules, etc., to keep "those people" out of a neighborhood. By "those people" was meant people who weren't "white", people of the "wrong" religion, people who don't make more than a certain amount of money, and more. Those were "private contracts"......and they got overruled.

Marriage is a contract. Should no one be allowed to get a divorce because the marriage contract is for life?

9. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have been more explicit. Obviously, a wire between trees, or an unobtrusive stick in the back yard should no big deal. On the other hand, a 100 foot tower with stacked full-size 40 meter yagis would not set well in soe neighborhoods.

Still, rules are rules, albeit some don't make any sense.

Another concern is RFI. Although legally licensed, a ham running even modest power is a huge imposition, in that just about every electronic device in a nearby home is affected. Lots of hate and discontent in the neighborhood is the reason for what we hams see as these draconian rules.

10. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL! If your strawman only had a brain....

index.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.