Amateur Radio Parity Act moving forward...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KN6SD

KN6SD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KK5JY

No doubt. Nonetheless, it was never approved by the committee. It is still in committee. If the amendment is rejected by the NDAA conference process, 555 will still be in committee.

4. KN6SD

Okay, you're Right, I am Wrong...… It's stuck in committee, no chance of becoming law... I hope you sleep better tonight...….

:cool:

5. KN6SD

Wow, see what happens when someone spends to much time online...……. They're Right NO MATTER what the facts are, SCARY...……

:eek:

6. KK5JY

Yes, it is stuck in committee. I provided a link above showing that.
    What I said earlier in the thread was quite different. So you are now misquoting me.
    I do. You should stop that. ;)

7. KN6SD

BTW: It doesn't matter if ARPA gets signed into law, if you're happy with your current situation, you do not have to change anything with your antennas...….. Keep living life as you are currently...…

Russ

8. KK5JY

That's not true: http://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/Just_Say_No_to_S.1534_v4.pdf

The bill, if passed, would adversely affect the property rights of a great number of hams who today have no antenna restrictions.

NL7W, W4IOA, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's a little more complicated than that.

HR 555 was in fact approved by the House. However, S1534, the Senate version (same language) got stuck in the Senate Energy, Commerce and Transportation Committee. So that was the process treating ARPA as a stand-alone bill. Basically it had died, because nobody thought it would make it out of the Senate committee with the one Florida Senator refusing to let it see the light of day.

What has now happened is something completely different. The language of that Bill, or at least some of it, has been offered and approved by the different Committee, the House Armed Services Committee, as an Amendment on the massive Defense Appropriations Act. This is not HR555 or S1534, those are now irrelevant. It is a whole new ballgame. Since it is an Appropriations act, it does not require a separate matching Senate Bill.

So when the House and Senate conference to nit pick the NDAA of 2019, it could stay, it could get changed, or it could go away.

What we don't know at this point is exactly what the Amendment says. It's not published yet, and all ARRL said was " ... language ... giving radio amateurs the right to install an outdoor antenna at their residences with the approval of their homeowners associations. This language — text from the proposed Amateur Radio Parity Act (HR 555) — formed the basis for the Courtney-Hartzler-Rogers Amendment to the NDAA."

Note is says "text from" not "text of" which to me means that they did not plug in the entire ARPA, but merely some (as yet unknown) segment of text from it.

What we don't know is what that text is exactly.

If all it is, is that first part I quoted "... giving radio amateurs the right to install an outdoor antenna at their residences with the approval of their homeowners associations.... " then this is kind of a pointless thing. We can already do things with the approval of the HOA! The incumbent problem is that we cannot do it without HOA approval, and this statement just does not address that. ARPA, the stand-alone Bill, as many of us agree, would make things worse by basically requiring HOAs to regulate antennas whether they have in the past or not, and require us to get their approval, even if they have not regulated antennas in the past.

I think we best wait to see exactly what this "language" is. My guess is that it's a PR stunt and not anything substantive.

In any case, the stand-alone ARPA is still essentially dead.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. AI4QJ

AI4QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What was that? "Ham operators will never be reasonable", just because we wish to have dipoles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.