Amateur Radio Parity Act moving forward...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN6SD

KN6SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a complaint about the latest version of the bill.. It has NO provision offering any real relief to the "henpecked" hams that will NOW be publicly shamed for not having a decent antenna installed. The old cover story "HOA says NO" won't work anymore...

I tried to get the ARRL to include the "henpecked" clause in the bill, but no such luck for all of the henpecked hams... Sorry guys, I guess you'll have to "GROW A PAIR"... Good luck :rolleyes:

W5TTP likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's OK... now that passage is a real possibility, the situation you described will be replaced with, "the HOA only allowed me to have a UHF GP, 10ft off the ground, and hidden behind the roof of the house..." ;)

W5WN and W4IOA like this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

It that a serious or a facetious comment? When did this supposedly become "a real possibility"? This source language made its way into some new document, with some additional verbiage that makes it potentially worse than the original. But just like all previous efforts, I saw nothing that indicates any danger of passage.

N9CIF likes this.
  4. KN6SD

Hmm, so you're saying the "henpecked" clause is built into the language in a roundabout way...

We'll see, only time will tell...

Russ

5. KK5JY

I was being quite serious -- now that it has been slipped into NDAA for 2019, it has a real chance of evading detection or debate and making it through to law. I find that objectionable on several levels, including the content and the method used to push it forward, but passage is no longer a distant long-shot. It's buried inside another bill that will pass, in one form or another. Whether ARPA survives inside that bill until passage is still an open question, of course.

KU4X likes this.
  6. KK5JY

Well, that and existing case law [justia.com] on exactly that subject, with nearly identical language. ;)

7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not hidden well if we know it's there.
    The HOAs will rewrite their bylaws to meet any accommodations need. Problem will be that they will include such language as single ground mounted verticals no higher than roofline, can't been seen from front street, and perhaps a maximum wattage output. These all meet the reasonable accommodations clause but will still infuriate ham operators who will demand the right to install towers, dipoles, and run full power. Ham operators will never be reasonable

8. KK5JY

Let's be fair, though, ARRL made a huge press release about it. That's how most of us found out about it. Had they kept quiet about it, it might have stayed a secret. The NDAA has a lot of moving parts.
    You mean like the municipalities did? See link above. :(

Many HOAs cannot rewrite their rules, because they are codified in CC&R that run with the land, and have no provision for modification. That's the case with most CC&R property that I have looked at in Oklahoma. I understand some states are different, but then again, that's the problem with a one-size-fits-all "solution" to a "problem" that doesn't exist everywhere, and doesn't exist in the same form wherever it might exist.

KX4O, W5WN and W4IOA like this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

CCRs can always be rewritten but it's terribly difficult. We are in the process of a rewrite. Attorney fees are $7k, BOD has to go through line by line, then the community will do the same, a meeting vote to approve is 85% of the community members.

10. KN6SD

According to some other posters, HOA's will be even more restrictive after ARPA's passage.. Including, but not limited to: Setting RF Power Level for hams, mandating ground mounted antennas, all antennas must be invisible (a tough one), etc. etc...

I don't see any of that happening in the REAL World... But, maybe in a "henpecked" hams world it will fly as a cover story...…. Blah ha ha ha… Sheeshhh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.