ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur radio operators are needed...

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K6RBS, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K6RBS

K6RBS Ham Member QRZ Page

From www.nbc-2.com , 8/17/2004:

Amateur radio operators are needed to assist with hurricane disaster recovery in Charlotte County. People who have their own vhf mobile or portable equipment and want to volunteer, are asked to go to the staging area in the shopping center near Winn Dixie on Kings Highway a mile and a half west of exit 170 on I-75. Contact: Dave Armbrust.

2. K8YS

K8YS Guest

Dave.. having been an active volunteer on other jobs, WHO is asking for help? ARES, ARC, SA, Southern Baptists, etc??? I have been on one too many job where help was needed, but unless a sponcering agency ASKED for the help, you were NOT WELCOME. Bob k8YS

3. K6RBS

K6RBS Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K8YS

K8YS Guest

Again, perhaps more to the point...

if you are not invited, by a responcible agency, DO NOT GO.

Do not just SHOW UP and say "here I am". You will only burden the existing infrastructure. Unless you have a place to stay, transportation, food and water.. do not go.

Call your local Red Cross, join DSHR and volunteer, contact the Salvation Army and volunteer.

You will be become just another victim if you do not have food, water, shelter or transportation.

I have been there, done that, and turned away a lot of help because unwelcome volunteers taxed the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.