ad: cq2k-1

Amateur Radio Operator BSA uniform patch discontinued

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AK2M, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Well, Scout ain't what they used to be and no code hams not going to get to wear the badge. Admittedly , the effort once required has disappeared and the new girls won't be much interested.

2. KJ6SVA

KJ6SVA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KJ6SVA

KJ6SVA Ham Member QRZ Page

Had to make room for the Co-Ed camping Patch?

4. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose the best thing for the "modern" Scouts to do is eliminate such as amateur radio and add baking fruit pies badge; kind of fits the image they seem to be trying to develop. Good luck girls.

KI7HSB likes this.
  5. KO9Q

KO9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

yes; they are barely recognizable.

6. KO9Q

KO9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KO9Q

KO9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting observation...I have been saying for years we are going after the wrong group. We should be trying to interest the 30-45 year olds...

WA1ZCN and AD0AC like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Every year around Field Day our local AM broadcast station has a PSA from the ARRL about the event. I think it's a good thing to do to give "civilians" a chance to see what's going on. It's also a good idea at community events parades, fairs etc. to set up a demonstration.
    What I don't like to see is all this hand wringing about how are we going to get folks interested in the hobby . First and foremost it's up to them to take the initiative I believe in the long term that makes a better candidate for the hobby and one that is more likely to stick around for a long time.

9. VA3WNO

VA3WNO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you take our parochial head out of the sand you would be able to recognize how capable girls and young women really are, and how well they fit into Scouting. I took my Scouts (girls and boys) camping last weekend in cold, wet, windy conditions. Four of them, all boys, sulked until they were picked up by their parents after just one night. Not one of the girls wanted to leave, opting instead to learn about knives, stoves and axes, amongst other things. A few weeks ago, I had them over for JOTA. Two of the three who came over and had a blast on the radio were girls. Bet they could bake a mean fruit pie too, but I wouldn't know.

WJ4U, AK2M and AG5DB like this.
  10. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't actually seen a Scout in uniform in many years. Most scouts this day and time, only wear the shirt with a pair of bluejeans, and 9 times out of 10 the shirt is not even tucked in. IF it is such an important part of the program...perhaps they should worry more about seeing that it is properly worn, rather than a little strip on the shoulder.[/QUOTE]

Same here, just see shirt with jeans or shorts.

12. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember back around 1961 I got the "Signaling" merit badge for learning how to send and receive Morse Code. Maybe now needle point will take it's place.

K3XR likes this.
  13. WA1ZCN

WA1ZCN Ham Member QRZ Page

My take is exactly opposite. BSA has made long overdue changes to bring it into step with recommendations of the World Organization of the Scout Movement, and with other modern Scout associations, including the UK, where Scouting began.

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW...thought it was called Boy Scouts of AMERICA not the UK and not some globalist organization.

KI7HSB likes this.
  15. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they should just rename the "Boy Scouts of America" to the "Social Justice Warriors of the United Nations"

K3XR likes this.