ad: CQMM-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. May 12, 2021.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, May 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. May 12, 2021.

DG2MDJ, VU2VIZ, K4XJ and 2 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Shortwave radiogram is a interesting concept. Thanks

KG7LGG and W8BBK like this.
  3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

How much band width is the digital radiogram taking up by transmitting pictures along with messages.?
    Win link will get the message across but with out the pretty picture and maybe less band width? Maybe some of you could tell us the real difference?

My concern is how much room on the ham bands is going to be used up with computer driven digital modes, seems to me as time goes by more and more CW space is being used up, got alot of digital running or I should say interfering with CW transmissions.

OK I am ready to hear the hate mail.

KG6JFL likes this.
  4. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No hate here, but I don't see what shortwave radio stations broadcasting outside of the amateur bands over an AM carrier has anything to do with CW.

WZ4K and KG7LGG like this.
  5. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

OK TU for your input, I thought we were talking about Amateur Radio bands, my mistake.
    So if we are not why have this posted in first place?

But we need to admit we have been experiencing a bunch of interference from digital on the CW portion especially when contests are happening.
    I am somewhat confused. Again TU for your input. Having Adult conversations like this helps me understand more clearly.

6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I found it interesting because this is a mode popular among Amateur radio operators being used in the broadcast bands, and the person behind this project is a licensed Amateur radio operator.

Where is the CW portion of any band being interfered with by digital operators? Do you mean on the bottom of the 2 meter and 6 meter bands? That's the only places I see CW-only portions of any bands. That's quite inconsiderate if it is happening but I have a suspicion that's not what you are talking about.

7. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I see what you are saying, this is of not knowing what I was talking about, it does look like digital has taken over the ham bands except for a small portion of the 6 meter band, my mistake, I should have known better. My mistake was looking at the Tech portion of 80, 40, and 15 meter bands where their is large portions marked CW only if you only have technicians license. But General , Advanced. and Extra are aloud all digital modes.

Some day I will learn to get my facts straight before I make any comment, but until then I suppose I will depend on you fellas to educate me.
    TU. Oh! What sauce goes good with Crow? Hard to swallow dry.

8. AC0GT

Huh? I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcasm or taken seriously. Is this supposed to be some kind of parody?

I'll try again. Assume I'm seven years old and explain the problem to me in simple language, and please avoid abbreviations as they may not mean the same to me as they do to you. How and where can we find digital modes using up CW "portions" or "space"? If this is a problem then perhaps we can discuss options for solutions.

I also enjoy "adult conversation" (no, not like that) as it helps me understand things clearly. To have an adult conversation though requires a few things, one is an agreement on definitions. One thing we need to define is what you mean by "CW space", and also "digital interference".

9. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

/// No my apology was sincere, I guess where I was coming from was the (Considerate operators frequency Guide ), for example 3.500-3.510 CW DX window, I have been working a DX jn that location and then have been interfered with by digital mode station, I guess it could be FT8 or some other mode, I don't know, all I know is most of the time it sounds like the AOL dial up sound.

Then at the 3.560 QRP CW calling frequency Digital modes have taken over, especially at night time and weekend contest.
    14.060 QRP CW calling frequency, again digital stations make this frequency unusable while there computers are involved in contests.

You are correct looking at the ARRL Band plan, but Looking over the Gentlemen's agreement (The Considerate Operator’s Frequency Guide} paints a little different picture.
    I am wondering how many operators forget about the Considerate Operator’s Frequency Guide.

I know very little about Digital mode, all I know is there is a computer involved making the contact. CW, or Continuous Wave mode use Morse code to communicate, and most of the time is sent back and forth by hand movement using a mechanical key, although some new operators now use a computer to send and receive. I have a 90 year old friend that has resorted to the aid of computer CW because of his health condition.

We are on the same page, just some times I do not get my facts quite correct, my comments were to be taken seriously, no sarcasm here.
    I do not like being wrong any more than the next guy, but I am willing to admit when I am wrong, and have over the years have eaten my share of CROW.

I hope this gives you a clearer perspective where I am coming from. 72'

10. AC0GT

Pardon my initial claim of you coming off as some farce or curmudgeon as there are many people on the internet that will claim that digital modes are "not ham radio". Some going so far to claim all digital modes are "interference". One's tone of speaking does not always come through on the internet.

I do believe I found the considerate operators' guide that you referenced. http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf
    I find it "problematic" that the 80 meter CW DX window is in Extra-only space. This is perhaps more a problem of antiquated FCC licensing than the guide. If other nations have this open to people of all license classes, or those of some intermediate class, then so should the FCC as a matter of "international goodwill".

Morse code was the most popular mode on Amateur radio. Then it fell to second place behind phone modes. Now it is coming in third, with phone and digital modes seeming to fight over first place. That's just people developing technology to meet their needs and preferences.

Seeing digital modes come to shortwave broadcasting is an interesting development, and may become more popular over time. Their use of an existing mode popular with Amateur radio does have a lot of logic to it. Amateur radio has "borrowed" modes from other services before because they work, and because the hardware and software was easily adapted. This adoption of methods across radio services is not only expected but encouraged by the FCC. Amateur radio is in part an experimental radio service, where people can test out ideas without the expense and licensing rigor of Part 5. It will be interesting to see how this experiment with digital broadcasts on shortwave works out.

There's a growing distrust of government supported mass media, and "news entertainment" that seems to come from what used to be trusted mass media outlets. If these shortwave digital broadcasts do indeed offer a means to short circuit the filters from governments and "big media" then smartphone apps to decode these transmissions with an inexpensive USB SDR dongle may become popular.

You can't stop the signal.

11. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

The $## has already proven that they are very concerned that there is a form of communication that they will find impossible to control. Amateur radio . As you know we were warned on a Sunday Jan 17th that Warning: Amateur and Personal Radio Services Licensees and Operators May Not Use Radio Equipment to Commit or Facilitate Criminal Acts.

Of course we already new this, but this unwarranted warning on a Sunday was a shot across the bow

We use some digital modes, one is Winlink for our emergency communications to pass critical information during disasters.
    Been a good conversation, hope to catch you on the air some time, and if you do not already use CW mode give it a try, very exciting and rewarding.
    73'

AC0GT likes this.