ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. June 9, 2021.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WD5ACR

WD5ACR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guarantee you they take the same exam you do. They're scientists and PhDs so they probably cram for a weekend.

KD8ZM likes this.
  2. WD5ACR

WD5ACR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Btw, what is "ham spirit"?

KD8ZM likes this.
  3. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why 99% of the time I do HF and 6 meter FM with ~ 100 countries on 10 FM and another 15 on 6 FM who needs to waste time on SSB/CW/ or waste your life watching paint dry on the Digi-wigi modes.

4. F16832

F16832 QRZ Member

Bj je suis de france de clermont ferrand je suis sur le site de QRZCQ tu tape F 16832 et vous verrez ma page vous pouvez m envoyè un Email f16832.michel@gmail.com et meme une qsl je repond a 100° bon 73.51.88

5. F16832

F16832 QRZ Member

bj je suis de france je suis sur QRZCQ vous tapez F 16832 et vous avez ma page mon Email est f16832.michel@gmail.com 73.51.88

6. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I must admit I don't even know what you're talking about, here. How can you propagate to 100+ countries on 6 meters in low sunspot conditions?

7. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

EME could work on 6 meters for a 100 countries and I think the 100 countries he was talking about were on 15 meters. But just think if he was using that lame FT8 mode he might have doubled that number, But hey however you like to do it is fine with me.

KD8ZM likes this.
  9. KD8ZM

You may be right, I don't know and apparently he's not saying (I assume because the answer may not be that impressive, based on looking at his QRZ logbook - most contacts are awfully close to his location). Must not be FT8 he is talking about, as he denigrates digital modes by calling them "digi-wigi" modes. Anyway, enough time spent wondering about this. 73.

10. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

So....some people are upset that astronauts have Ham licenses because it may be required because of their job to have one?

Is this how petty people are now trying to find something to complain about?

That is like reducing the honor of an Army Ranger. Infantryman, or Green Beret (and of course SeALs, Marines, PJ'sand everyone else, sorry for being Army centric LOL) because they do not like to jump out of planes once they get out of the military but it was a requirement for them to be Airborne qualified for their jobs.

N0TLD and KD8ZM like this.
  11. KD8ZM

I agree. These complaints remind me of the people who used to say that they're a "real 20 wpm" Extra Class because they took a code test, denigrating those Extras who didn't. These are "negatrons" who turn people off from this hobby, and many of them are clueless about how they are perceived.

K4KFW and N0TLD like this.
  12. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

You too could join my elite club, if you work hard; - you could be 'special-class' too.
    Tennessee's' 1st.

It's great being an elite. You get special-privileges. No-one else has that, right? We all get three proprietary dustbins. One for cardboard, one for plastic; - a camouflage one for body-parts.
    No-one else has this. By all means let envy be your motivation but only hard work reaches.

Though one word of advice, as you no doubt know, some elites are a bit funny about face-fuzz. 'Shaggy-sheep-dogs' are frowned upon! Your 1st move will be to have a shave. Take your time.
    Welcome to 'the-group'?

Here is our next 'group' activity. We believe it's the front-runner to solve all 'our problems'. https://www.sovereignman.com/trends...he-moons-orbit-to-fight-climate-change-32724/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  13. K5SDW

K5SDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have news for you. Pilots aren't hams and they use the HF bands everyday. Don't overthink it man, just enjoy the opportunity to use the service if you prefer.

14. K4KFW

K4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's right next to "Kentucky Lite" in the Likker store!!

15. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

View attachment 807293 elitismin American English
    (ɪˈlitɪzəm, eiˈli-)
    NOUN
    practice of or belief in rule by an elite
    consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group

Most material © 2005, 1997, 1991 by Penguin Random House LLC. Modified entries © 2019 by Penguin Random House LLC and HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elitismin British English
    (ɪˈliːtɪzəm, eɪ-)
    NOUN
    belief that society should be governed by a select group of gifted and highly educated individuals
    b.
    such government
    pride in or awareness of being one of an elite group
    Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'll see there is a distinct difference. I can definitely say that the confusion clearly arises from 'cultural differences'.

Note that the American English 'elite', would appear to to apply to, as you'd expect states-side, anyone who can promote themselves to being just that. Primarily through the accumulation of capital influence. It's different to the English version 'elite' which applies to exactly what we have. A band of Cambridge, Eton & Oxford high-intellectuals, who are born into what is called aptly: "career politics", though it may also apply to government department's 'scientists', who may seize their opportunity for 'greatness'.

Considering that I lived from age 20, in the squats of London, and helped rebuild, as we all did, whole streets of derelict houses, and then was forced into exile abroad from Thatcher's working-class' 'elite thug' Britain as the only way to find work, (even she was a grocer's daughter), I don't see how either applies. My house, in Grantham rd, SW9, had been Luftwaffe incendiary-bomb damaged.

And how do I see 'elitism' as relates to the current situation which 8 billion souls endure? Accumulation of wealth, power and influence in order to rule with the rod of so-called 'scientific evidence', is not new but always came in the past to a very abrupt ending.
    And you know what, when I was in the squats of Lambeth, the local council, which was genuinely Marxist, tried to have us shut down, to cancel our mini-housing-aid grants for the rebuilding work.

popeye-yam-spin.gif

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021