ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. January 3, 2018.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jan 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. January 3, 2018.

KW8V, ZL1KFM and KW4WL like this.
  2. WB6MMJ

WB6MMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When are they going to report that Ham Radio has gone down the toilet, thanks to NO F.C.C. enforcement?
    The West Coast is a total mess on the lower bands.
    It sounds like CB or worse.

KF5YUB likes this.
  3. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait until the ARRL pushes the no test license !!!

WB6MMJ likes this.
  4. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Its stupid on 2 meters sometimes too....people who don't work and click mic on repeaters all day long just to see if their Chinese ht is reaching. Back when (17 years ago) it was frowned upon .oh yeah wait until we techs get upgraded to Jr generals and a new novice license hits the air.Funfun !!!

WB6MMJ likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

We do not need another license class. The Technician test is too easy as it is. Part of the problem is the $20 Chinese (Baofeng) radios. Any kid can save his lunch money for a month and buy one. Then, unlicensed, they burn up the repeaters with kerchunks and animal noises. Why did the fCC stop enforcement? I have heard the old "no manpower" argument. I think some hefty fines would take care of enforcement salaries. Besides all they would need to do is investigate the leads that Hams provide. I dread the day when Baofeng starts making a cheap HF transceiver. I know MFJ is going to be the official North American distributor for the Xiegu transceiver. I just think that will open a whole new can of worms for ham radio. They are $670.00 at the jungle store and from the reviews I have read, they badly overheat. The Manufacturer's remedy for the overheating, by the way, is "don't use the radio more than two hours". Yeah, right. my remedy is don't buy one. The Chinese radios spew out spurs like a leaking X-ray machine spews out radiation. Chinese radios have really hurt our hobby. and before you say that we need cheap equipment to bring new blood into the hobby I will answer by saying that that is what eBay and ham fests are for.

KR3DX likes this.
  6. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe that is why no kids are getting into ham radio, people are too embarrassed to let them come in and listen to the stuff on the air.

KR3DX, WB6MMJ and KF5YUB like this.
  7. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that a new or easier license class is a really bad idea. If a person is not willing to study, at least learn the rules and know how to operate, they should not be on the ham bands.

I'm really annoyed with the profanity on 80 meters. There is one group that goes out of their way to prove which one of them is the least intelligent. I'd like to see the FCC slap each of these clowns with a $10k fine to dampen their vulgarity. I will be sending a recording of them to the FCC once I catch all of their call signs.

Then there are the blockers. There is one drunk or insane (maybe both) guy that has been blocking nets and other conversations on 80. I read in a forum that a few hams got together and identified the guy. They even posted his Washington state address but, he is still carrying on with his insanity a year later. This guy should loose his license and get a fine large enough to force the sale of his gear.

The ARRL has mixed motivations so we need to speak up if we don't want easier licensing. The ARRL may talk about following the rules and enforcement efforts but, they also want increased revenue and it's likely that they will promote easier licensing with the hope of picking up more members.

KR3DX likes this.
  8. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree on the issue of lack of enforcement.
    However, most of the jackholes I unfortunately come across are seasoned Advanced or Extra class operators. The assumption that the bad ops on the amatuer bands are due to CBers and eliminating CW requirement for a license is BS.

KR3DX and N0DSS like this.
  9. W4DBV

W4DBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never introduce a young person to the hobby by letting them listen to SSB or any spoken voice mode on HF these days.

10. KL7DN

KL7DN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to say this but there are also quite a few predators out there on the air as there are on social media... I want my daughter to be a HAM and enjoy the hobby but not until shes old enough to "have that talk" with her...

11. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in Albuquerque when the ARRL rep asked for a show of hands in favor of doing away with Morse code requirements. I counted 101 hams in that meeting and TWO of them voted to be rid of code requirements. The ARRL then reversed the numbers and got the FCC to drop code requirements so that the ARRL could sell more memberships. So thank those thugs for the dumbing down as well as much loss of the magic of our fine hobby. WORSE: Americans are also dumbed down by a sickening public education and a left wing hate party that discourages decent and civil behaviors. GOOD luck my fellows.

12. AA0MT

AA0MT Ham Member QRZ Page

40 meters is absolutely atrocious, both day and night, grown men acting like spoiled kids. I actually think the youngsters would be a breath of fresh air, especially in a pile up. My XYL is stunned that there are Hams who show no consideration for others. The notch filter works for just so long, then come the recordings of some donkey making “funny” voices & noises! I agree with the others, hefty fines via enforcement is the only way to squelch this behavior; unchecked, it’ll just encourage them. Those other Hams who have the names and recordings of the jammers need to use social media to their advantage. I’ve seen time and again where an injustice goes unpunished due to law enforcement or a similar agency turning a blind eye to it. The victims post it on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc. and it goes viral, that seems to be when things happen. The agencies don’t want their image tarnished, so they get up and get after what should have been done in the first place - enforcement!

As far as the testing is concerned, keep up the high standards, and you’ll have high standard radio operators.

13. WB6MMJ

WB6MMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The F.C.C. wants out of Amateur Radio and the A.R.R.L. sees dollar signs. The A.R.R.L. wants the doors of Amateur Radio opened up wide. They want more members / money. It`s only a matter of time before you get your license by signing a document saying that you understand and will follow the rules of part 97 and you will be issued a license. I suspect that shortly after that, the F.C.C will do away with licensing all together. The F.C.C. has been and will continue to follow the same path that they used to get out of CB Radio. That`s deregulate it and not enforce it.

KR3DX likes this.
  14. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hiram Percy Maxim would roll over in his grave if he could see what the ARRL are doing with Amateur Radio
    standards . The Podcasters and test books and mic sells the ARRL its just for the money , I cannot say names .

KR3DX and WB6MMJ like this.
  15. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's wait and see what they say (ARRL) after the meeting in January folks a lot of hams know what about what they are doing and not doing . I for one am wondering what the removal of the lightning bolt from QST icon means....See January QST magazine ?