ad: chuckmartin

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. December 9, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

pedals.JPG
    What counts is the talent and the stubborness to see it through.. you don't need a 1959 Les Paul and Marshall stacks.....I won't account my life story other than to say my success as a senior is not accidental and was thwarted for some time by modesty of circumstances--and false accusations by those jealous of talent. I stuck it through.

Here is a picture of a bit of my pedal shelf. Note the 'BitQuest' by Dr. Scientist.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Graeme--

I am posting this speech from the 2018 Technical Achievement Award. If you interpret it as some braggart splurge you will have entirely missed the point.

When you--and others-- question the validity of others who work hard and make progress, you make it difficult for them and others to succeed in the enterprise. And the enterprise gets put off. Sometimes decades, sometimes to never. In particular, asserting 'fraud' (see your post in #28) is really over the top. And as we look at Arecibo, we have to take pause about what culture's have brought us --and then contemplate solutions from those who have seen the tortuous paths and understand how to navigate them.

The problem right now with Arecibo is not to destroy what can be used moving forward. This is already happening. The 'dozers have hit the dish. Cooler minds with best judgement seldom prevail.

Keep in mind that the United States abandoned the Moon and we have not been back. Should Arecibo follow that lead?

I hope you will switch your perspective--and hope others will as well-- to realize that if we don't nurture, we prevent the solutions that we so desperately need .

Looking back is amounting to funereal laments. Obsequies.

As long as we are alive and have a heartbeat, our path in time is forward. Read that line again. And again. Let it sink in, beyond the carbon black on a bleached page of parchment.

Here's the speech, given in 2018 and more true that ever----

Thank you DARA for this special evening. Congratulations to my fellow awardees. And now: the reason I am here.

Well, I was the kid who stuck his finger in the light socket. Some of you may think that explains a lot. I made my first invention at age 6. At 11, I got my license. There was no holding me back, immersed in a friendly wireless world fabulously unlike my limiting hometown.

Human nature being what it is, not everyone is friendly. Some of you are aware of the tortuous 30 year path of the innovation of fractal antennas, fractal resonators and electronics, the invisibility cloak, and so on. You can’t not see the very verbal resistance to that amongst some of our ranks. But this is typical territory for innovators who understand the outrageous realities of Darwinism with its die-offs and resurrection.

I was allowing none of that on fractal antennas. I became champion for the technology I created and took more than my share of arrows. I shot quite a few of them back. The pioneer didn’t die and the technology, today, is exploding on a global scale across wireless and telecom. Kids get taught it in math class.College students get graded on it at universities. DIY’ers praise me for bringing in Green Acres reruns from 150 miles away.

Bottom line: I did it, from the beginning, with ham radio. I haunted flea markets. I had a love-hate relationship with Radio Shack and MFJ. I built my own antenna range . I used crystal controlled 2M rigs. I funded it from slim earnings, and unlike this first-class meal here, cornflakes and ramen noodles. I hate ramen noodles.

Bottom line: Fractal antennas are ham-grown. I am proud to be a ham. You should be too.

Listen: Part 97, ham radio in the US, is under fire from those who pose us as mere ‘armchair hobbyists’. Running an antenna company, I see that intense criticism all the time. This is happening because we have underleveraged who we are. We are makers by nature, innovators by choice. What’s the difference? Makers make for fun. Innovators make for need—and have fun doing it. All innovators are makers. That’s where it starts. But most makers never take the next step. Historically, ham makers prodigiously make that next step. In recent years, that bridge has been less clear, and certainly undercelebrated. We need to better recognize our innovation culture and nurture the next step.

Let’s look to tomorrow. Literally. Somewhere out in the Hamvention flea market there will be young hams eyeing junk box treasures. They are not looking for D-104 microphones. They’ve got their own secret project. And are doing what they are supposed to. They know the FCC tells us to do great things, not only for ham radio, but the general enhancement of the radio art. Just remember, great things often start out looking dicey, and the people who accomplish them are often seen as the wrong people to do it. The world can be a cruel place, but is almost always wrong in its gut reactions.

We built this city. A radio city. And we, ham innovators, will continue to do so, with our innovation mandate of Part 97 and the friendly come-as-you are culture that is truly the heart of amateur radio.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Let it lie, For the sake of God.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Paddy--

Tell your compatriot not to accuse others of being a fraud --and then not retract. And accusing me of being "looney". Also, it was in the paramount of bad taste for GM4BRB to say I am sitting on my 'fat American &&&' ---when I am recovering from trauma of a fall..and sitting takes an act of will against pain. I mean really: that is outrageous. Do you know what its like to be elderly, in pain and not be able to see a doctor during the explosive surge of a pandemic? I do.

All this public and archived for me and others to be picked on and showcased for years to come. Just great.

I mean really...has he no shame?

Call GM4BRB out on it--don't blame the victim.

If you don't want someone to defend themselves, then stop the
    source of dispute.

Roger?

Have a nice day and best DX.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  5. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

I once played guitar & sang this to an audience including the German daughter of an SS conscript (WWII).
    I nearly died. Well, it was 1986!
    ... Ahahahaha.

Oh, I got somethin' for you, baby. Woo! Yeah!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KL4XQ

KL4XQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to get Elon Musk involved via twitter as it seemed just up his ally but he never responded... :)

8. KL4XQ

KL4XQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure with the state of technology at the time it was very expensive. Given the state of technology today I'm sure it would be much cheaper to replace... ​

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately that is not true. It is analogous to re-pricing a major bridge replacement.

10. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they rebuild it someday :(

W1YW likes this.
  11. JF1UCX

JF1UCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, thanks for that great explanation. It's not often that failure of components can be predicted to the point where clear and detailed photo analysis is possible on a semi-unpredictable one-time only event. In the AF, we spent tons of money and time trying to capture malfunction and critical failure and it was usually only possible during testing and not actual real-life applications, in the field, er, air, so to speak.

For them to have a drone hovering (for how long?) over the area was good fortune in an otherwise very unfortunate situation.

I know they've outlined it elsewhere, but I wonder why it wasn't able to be repaired (before the collapse). I suppose funding was one reason. But I had read that it was said it was impossible to repair due to the way it was suspended, etc.. Surely, that can't be. If it can be put up in the first place, it can be repaired. Difficult, surely, but not impossible. Fixing the Voyager after it left the solar system is impossible. Fixing a terrestrial antenna complex is not. Well, was not. Too late now. Cheers from Tokyo

12. JF1UCX

JF1UCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. and we know what happened to Frank when he did try to fix it. Cheers.

NS4WT likes this.
  13. NP4JE

NP4JE Ham Member QRZ Page

El Gobierno de PR asigno 8 millones para su arreglo