Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. December 9, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually I read a proposal based on an array of satellites. Not sure what orbital path they would be on but Spacex has shown how viable and cost effective it could be. It would be a leap forward for science so the costs could be shared with other countries. Not like it hasn't been done before. The costs to build Arecibo was astronomical back in the day so I don't see the issue if it advances science in a similar manner.

2. N5PTV

N5PTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was working in Arecibo in April on an unrelated HF project when the cable broke. I was pretty bummed out as I had planned on visiting the telescope. A lot of history there and no telling how many movies were made. I can see where is would be beyond economical repair however. I believe the VLA has better resolution and can look out farther than the Arecibo scope did and is adjustable. Still, it's sad to see it go.

Matt

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Jansky telescope is predominantly an imaging array and does not have the collecting area of the ( SK)Arecibo dish. Arecibo's unique sensitivity was instrumental in many key discoveries, including the first extrasolar planet, and the binary pulsar used to show gravitational wave dissipation.

4. DL7BCA

DL7BCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Really sad to see the demise of the Arecibo Telescope. Featured also in a nice ham-radio video on moon bouncing activities by swiss radio amateurs back in 1964 (for a trip down memory lane see youtube-video "How high the moon": , including English sub-titles).
    73 Martin, HB9BCA / DL7BCA

5. WD8ED

WD8ED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only?

I was a tracking system engineer for the U.S. Navy. I won't go into details. But this radio telescope what a huge pain in bottom for anybody having to do with radiating any radio signal anywhere in the region. That part of the world is much more developed now than it was when it was first put there. If there is truly a need, it needs to be more properly located... if not out in space.

Ed

6. JF1UCX

JF1UCX Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly, when I saw the drone catch the moment of failure. Perhaps it had a built in 'failure prediction circuit' like HAL 9000. ;)

7. N4AFK

N4AFK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose that's what we get for not repairing the AE-23 unit as instructed.

JF1UCX likes this.
  8. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

The drone footage is there because over the weekend prior to the failure, multiple outer strands were failing on Tower 4's cables. That intensified the drone focus on Tower 4. One should not be surprised at all that observations were there at the critical moment. AO staff were diligent in spending hours with DJI drones at exactly the spot where they thought the most stress occurred.

Notice all the paint missing from the cables - that's the outer strands breaking and taking the white paint with them.

Scott Manley's analysis of the failure is excellent, if you can stand to watch the footage again (I can't):

W1YW and N9DOK like this.
  9. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait for NASA, Musk and Bezos getting back on the Moon. Select a nice big crater on the dark side and have at it :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

10. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely. From what I hear - (Sneering wistfully in deep throat manner):
    — If they do go, they won't ever be coming back, from there ....