ad: portazero-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. December 9, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. December 9, 2020.

DO4MSA, WA7YFF, WA1SDX and 2 others like this.
  2. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

So sad :( regarding the radio telescope.

DO4MSA, 2E0KLX, KB0FKT and 2 others like this.
  3. CX5CDV

CX5CDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Lamentable,muy triste era de gran ayuda,pero se que van a levantarlo sea como sea . CX5CDV

NP4JE, N3GY and RA5BB like this.
  4. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What a shame about the radio telescope.

KB0FKT likes this.
  5. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Spectaculaire comme démolition pour cette grand mère qui a eu une belle vie !

6. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now its time to gather the International Community (YES -INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY) to work with and lobby the NSF to replace the resource with a better more practical facility for our times.

Considering the history (and the state of the Puerto Rican economy) I am sure that this would not be an unreasonable task?

Both the WORLD and the PEOPLE OF PUERTO RICO BENEFIT !

WA0VSW, WN7WNL, K4VOZ and 5 others like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

No point in another telescope on earth. Spend the tech on space based telescopes. Too many issue with RF and diminishing magnetosphere to bother with on the surface.

G3SEA and K4DXG like this.
  8. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not insinuating anything...just interesting that we were told a couple weeks ago the radio telescope would be demolished then as the video shows there JUST HAPPENNED to be a drone recording video right next to the cable joints that failed first. Another point of interest...the Shard building in London is not the first and only building to beacon a Morse code message with it's roof top lights. The Capitol Records building in Hollywood has been beaconing the message "Hollywood" since the building's completion in 1956. The Morse code beacon was first switched on by Leila Morse, granddaughter of Samuel FB Morse.

JF1UCX, HA6NN, CX5CDV and 2 others like this.
  9. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only problem with space based telescopes is cost and longevity !

How long did Aricebo last? 60 Years... and at what total cost including manufacture and operation?

[ I would bet the cost of the manufacture and flight-to-orbit cost of just one "repair" module for Hubble ]

Long live The Hubble Space Telescope - Yet its very sick at the moment !

KB0FKT and CX5CDV like this.
  10. N1DUN

N1DUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds great. What's your billing address?

CX5CDV and KU3J like this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I read a proposal based on an array of satellites. Not sure what orbital path they would be on but Spacex has shown how viable and cost effective it could be. It would be a leap forward for science so the costs could be shared with other countries. Not like it hasn't been done before. The costs to build Arecibo was astronomical back in the day so I don't see the issue if it advances science in a similar manner.

12. N5PTV

N5PTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was working in Arecibo in April on an unrelated HF project when the cable broke. I was pretty bummed out as I had planned on visiting the telescope. A lot of history there and no telling how many movies were made. I can see where is would be beyond economical repair however. I believe the VLA has better resolution and can look out farther than the Arecibo scope did and is adjustable. Still, it's sad to see it go.

Matt

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Jansky telescope is predominantly an imaging array and does not have the collecting area of the ( SK)Arecibo dish. Arecibo's unique sensitivity was instrumental in many key discoveries, including the first extrasolar planet, and the binary pulsar used to show gravitational wave dissipation.

14. DL7BCA

DL7BCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really sad to see the demise of the Arecibo Telescope. Featured also in a nice ham-radio video on moon bouncing activities by swiss radio amateurs back in 1964 (for a trip down memory lane see youtube-video "How high the moon": , including English sub-titles).
    73 Martin, HB9BCA / DL7BCA

15. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Only?

I was a tracking system engineer for the U.S. Navy. I won't go into details. But this radio telescope what a huge pain in bottom for anybody having to do with radiating any radio signal anywhere in the region. That part of the world is much more developed now than it was when it was first put there. If there is truly a need, it needs to be more properly located... if not out in space.

Ed