Amateur Radio in Space pioneer astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL, SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NI9Y

NI9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

73's until we meet again. I had a short QSO with him as he was circling overhead. I made a recoding of his flight but need a micro tape recorder/player to listen to it. He was loud and clear like sitting next to me in the shack. How time flies.

2. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry correct : Richard Owen's son is a Ham, his son (now W5KWQ which is his Grandad's Owen SR original call)

3. G6NHW

G6NHW Ham Member QRZ Page

still also have my q.s.l card, a reminder of my younger days on the radio, receive only, i,m afraid heard here in the uk ,will be sadly missed. G6 NHW

4. K7LTF

K7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I never had the chance to work Owen - but did see his forward in the Tune in the Word with ham radio - 85-87, ed, i believe. Also saw the SAREX promo video that the ARRL did back in the 80s very impressive - Wish to at the same was able to work JY1, Both hams in their own right very highly regarded by many - and will both be missed - by the ham community.

Rip W5LFL -

5. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like many, I was able to copy Owen on one of his orbits from here in the San Francisco Bay area in Dec.1983. I used an old Bearcat 210 receiver with it's built in short telescoping whip and fed that into a tape recorder. I was lucky to be at the listening table and heard the squelch open and close, so I fully opened the squelch.. I knew he was in range by the desensing in the receiver. A moment later I heard- "...this is W5LFL aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia...(fading).. I'll be calling for 90 seconds this time around..". He was gone after that.

6. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at the KSC press site for Owen's launch on STS-9, the only shuttle launch I saw in person. But I didn't get to know Owen until 2012 when we were both on a week-long Planetary Society tour of several national parks in Utah plus the Grand Canyon, where we saw the annular eclipse of the sun from the South Rim. We talked about a wide range of topics in ham radio, education, space and the Apollo program. I think he was happy that I didn't just ask how astronauts go to the bathroom in space!

During the eclipse itself, I called off the times when I'd calculated the remaining sunlight was equivalent to that at Mars, Jupiter, etc. Owen pointed out that I'd forgotten a square term, as I'd assumed the eclipse percentages referred to the obscured solar area when they actually referred to the diameter. Ooops! I don't think I had time to revise my figures. Oh well, it seemed like a clever idea...

7. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

--That should read- "..I'll be calling N.America for 90 seconds, this time around.."

8. IK6DCL

IK6DCL Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Owen

9. WB2GMK

WB2GMK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is sad news. Back when I lived in NYC, I was on the committee for the 1984 ARRL National Convention. Owen was our keynote speaker. I met him, shook his hand; it was a great honor. At that time, I owned an advertising agency, which did, among other things. some ham radio advertising. I had the good folks in my art department do a portrait of Owen in his spacesuit, looming over the NYC skyline. QST ran it as the cover story that month. Yes, I made the cover of Q Street with Owen Garriot. Now some young ham will soon have the distinction of working the first live ham on the moon. I hope I am around to see that!!!!!!!

10. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Driving home one workday in the late '80s:

Listening for the cacaphony of transmissions to die down on W5LFL frequency, I threw-in my call/Florida Mobile....

W5LFL: The FLORIDA MOBILE go!

My greatest thrill! Stammeringly, I completed the contact; the cacophony began again....

A BIG SMILE I beamed the rest of the day!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Bernie, AF9US :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)