ad: ProAudio-1

Amateur Radio in Space pioneer astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL, SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Apr 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have the ball cap for that mission that I bought at the NASA hangar while temporarily at Patrick AFB. Spacelab patch with his name on it on the front. I remember trying to pick up a signal from the shuttle with a handheld and antenna while I was there but all I think I heard was the squelch break a time or two. We did not have internet to keep us updated on orbits and stuff to make it easy then!

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't work him, but I was on TV trying to work him! The University Radio Club was attempting the contact. We called some local TV stations, and at least one sent out a reporter and cameraman. It was an utter failure, but we were monitoring the NASA audio, which was being rebroadcast by a local repeater. I had a tape recorder hooked up to that, with the two VU meters moving in time with the audio. That was photogenic enough for the TV station, so they showed it, along with an interview with me.

3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha Oe Owen

Per Ardua Ad Astra

G3SEA/KH6

4. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

hallo meine herzliche bei leit für,s die mein freund gerriott und seine QRA family vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

5. G6BOP

G6BOP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's very sad... I remember hearing the space shuttle over the UK way back in the 1980's and managed to get a QSL card and letter confirming contact... I still have the card in my collection.... RIP Owen ... de G6BOP

6. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP a great man !

in a group on facebook I talk with an OM in Oregon who was one of the first three who spoke to him when he was in space for the first time!

PS a curiosity but how come 2 equal posts here on qrz new, reason?

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

Admin of FB group ISS Space Station International Fan's Group

7. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

(Owens son)
    Richard Garriott was also an astronaut, he flew up in a Soyuz space capsule on October 23rd 2008 and spent 12 days in the ISS (International Space Station) that have a contact via radio with his father on earth (the contact is on Youtube ! ), he’s a successful computer game developer,Although not a Ham, but as goal driven as his father was.

8. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Those were exciting times when Dr. Garriott made the first orbital flights carrying amateur radio. I was privileged to be part of the crew to produce the film "Amateur Radio's Newest Frontier" featuring Owen Garriott. Roy Neal (K6DUE - SK) and Bill Pasternak (WA6ITF - SK) and I traveled to several of the NASA facilities to shoot scenes to include in this feature. I and my camera was allowed to spend several hours with the astronauts inside the spacelab simulator to record some of their training efforts for their mission. Owen was certainly a powerful advocate for amateur radio in space and paved the way for many future missions taking ham radio aboard. It is largely due to his negotiations and careful insistence that he was allowed to take some modified radio gear and antenna on the shuttle. He was able to prove the viability of spaceborn amateur radio and we still enjoy the results today.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, check your Conversations/PM's please.

Carl

10. WB5UMG

WB5UMG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked Owen on a pass from an RT near Ellington Field in Houston. Proud of the QSL card. Onward and Upward Owen !
    WB5UMG