ad: Radclub22-1

AMATEUR RADIO IN PARADE MAGAZINE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB9IBW, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB9IBW

KB9IBW Ham Member QRZ Page

National Military Appreciation Month has selected Amateur Radio Military Appreciation Day as one of the focus events for this years article describing events during the Month of May that honors and support those that serve in the Military.
    This is a great public relations boost for our hobby.  Please be sure to tell your friends and family members about Amateur Radio coverage.
    http://www.nmam.org/index.htm

Be sure to add a comment at the Parade Magazine website in support of Amateur Rado and public service.

ARMAD is an event that allows the public to share LIVE messages of support to those who serve in the military, Retiree's, and Veterans.  The event takes place on the Saturday of Memorial DAY weekend.  This year it falls on May 27, 2006.

The link to the May 7, 2006 Talking With Heroes special one hour show with KB9IBW, WB4APR, and W4WWM is:
    http://dl01.blastpodcast.com/stardustradio2/15552_1147123161.mp3

ARMAD will also be featured along with the Founder of National Military Appreciation Month during the week of May 15, 2006 on ARMY WIFE TALK RADIO.  You can listen at the link below.

Get involved and "Ham It Up For The Troops."
    Amateur Radio Military Appreciation Day

Army Wife Talk Radio

Link to CBS / Wane TV Story
    http://www.wane.com/global....intable

2. N1MLF

N1MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

As a vet and member of the American Legion I salute and thank all for their efforts in the ARMAD program.
    Many good QSO's to all!!

JW

3. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This Sunday, hm? I'll be in Las Vegas then - actually, getting ready to head back home sometime in the morning - but I'll probably grab a copy of the Sun [?] from the Gold Coast gift shop on the way out. I usually do that anyway. [​IMG] I assume they carry Parade.

Is this article being written by a ham?

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Super!

5. W9GDV

W9GDV Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for the infor I can't wait to read it [​IMG]

6. kg6uh

kg6uh Guest

That's a nice feature coming up re our ARS in Parade.
    Sadly, we don't get Parade here in Panama.
    Could someone scan it and sent via e-mail to me?
    Would sure appreciate it.
    Tnx in advance,
    Louis
    HP3XUG/KG6UH
    pmajetboat@yahoo.com

7. KB1JVI

KB1JVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just looked at the Parade in print, and it's not in there.

8. KB3GZW

KB3GZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked in the parade today and I don't see anything on ham radio. I see something about the National Military Appreciation Month (pg. 14 next to the celebrex ad).

Dorian
    KB3GZW

9. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

ibw: I think you have your facts wrong. I found the following quote on the NMAM website:

"ARMAD Founder Emory McLendon will be featured on "Talking with Heroes" On Stardust Radio on May 7, 2006 for the full 1 hour show."

I also found some information about NMAM being mentioned in the Intelligence Report column, but nothing on the site says anything about ham radio being in PARADE magazine.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if it was premature editing, but no mention of Amateur Radio is in the version of "Parade" that came with the Sandy Ago Union-Tribune.

It's not the same to say Amateur Radio might be mentioned in a web-site mentioned in a magazine by-line as to say it's featured in a magazine article. That's a stretch too far.

11. N9YRX

N9YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

12. WA9SVD

All well and good, but what's on a magazine's web site isn't necessarily what will appear in print! Editors can and do "edit" for space, and print is much more expensive than web site space.
    It's a shame that piece DIDN'T appear in the paper version of the magazine.

With all due respect, I believe the originator "jumped the gun" and was being a bit over enthusiastic. Not that that's always wrong, but it did end up being a bit misleading.

13. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a couple of readers comments posted on April 29th and one more that was posted on April 30th that make reference to amateur radio. I don't think "editing" was involved because it very obvious those comments were posted well after the magazine went to print.

KM5FL

14. WA9SVD

It COULD be editing. It seems some folks assume (or assumed) that what's on Parade's Web Site is what will actually appear in the print edition.
    While the print editions certainly go to the presses well in advance, that version isn't available to the general public until Saturday ("Bull Dog" or "Preview" Edition of the Sunday Newspaper) Or Sunday morning. But articles on the Web Site may be edited down, and it's not generally indicated what part (if any) of a web article will actually materialize in print.

15. KB5DRJ

KB5DRJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a small article about Military Appreciation Month on page 14 'Intellegence Report', but it talks mostly about Military Appreciation Month and returning veteren's difficulty in obtaining post service employment. It says nothing about ARMAD or ham radio, the only thing I see that mentions ARMAD is the comments on Parade's web site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.