ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur Radio appearance on network TV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0GKT, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4GMH

W4GMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a regular CSI viewer, and also a Director/Producer/Editor of TV, Theatre, and Radio...
    I would suggest you consider the context of the locale and the story line of the scene where the Heath Rig was sitting in dust....as if it probably hadn't been used in some time. Otherwise the Director probably would not have called for a TCU (tight close up) of the Seneca logo.

Cal Zethmayr
    W4GMH

2. KF6HCD

KF6HCD Ham Member QRZ Page

It was supposedly Ron Reagan who turned out to be Rich Little advertising his upcoming shows...

3. VK6NDT

VK6NDT Ham Member QRZ Page

It was Ronald Reagon... well actually it was Rich Little impersonating Ronald. :)

4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you were making a movie or a TV show, you would use props that get the idea across.

Selecting "new" gear may not make sense. Handhelds? They look like baby monitors or cordless phones.

Tabletop radios? They look like DVD players or compact stereos.

There's nothing distinctive about new gear that puts across "radio hobbyist."

I'm glad they use classic equipment that the broader public understands as an element in whatever storyline the show is trying to portray.

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You might be referring to "Airplane !" or "Airplane II" with the guy in the control tower running around ? At one point he "turns on the runway lights" by holding up a big orange extension cord ?

If that's the movie, yes, in the shots of the radio console area, you are seeing at least two of the Senior Collins models, a 32V3 (I think I remember seeing the distinctive front panel handles) and a matching 75A2 or A3 receiver. (not the orphan 75A4 which was the wrong size and didn't do AM very well).

Coming as I do from my part of the hobby, I was delighted NOT to see any of the junior Collins models, which may have matched the non-carrier type of comms found on aviation HF. Just as with the underlying sound track of a propeller plane during all the jetliner shots, maybe it was part of the gag to use classic AM on HF to try to reach our heroes on board ...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. N2EK

N2EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, big knobs are good, but as im getting older I am starting to like a big chasis.
    (insert your own double entendre here)

7. W7CXA

W7CXA Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KK0XX

KK0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone noticed the Icom 746 in Monsters Inc?

9. K7TOB

K7TOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Still working on this page (like all of them), but I do have a fun clip of this episode over here.

10. K7TOB

Serious? I think I watch that once a week with my kids! I never even noticed. Guess I have to get back to the couch. Darn. :D

11. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the last Die hard movie they used ham frequiencies for there casual talk. At the begining when he was at the dorm and picked up the mic you can pause it and see the freq.

Michael
    KE5EUA

12. K7TOB

Nice catch! What's cool is that you have a perfect view of the whole radio and model number. In Live Free or Die Hard the ham radio used was an ADI AR-147. Which reminds me a lot of my old Kenwood TM-261 actually.

13. K7TOB

Sorry for all the posts, but I am watching Monsters Inc again. Any hints where the radio is? Must be pretty detailed if you can really tell it's an Icom...

14. KK0XX

KK0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I was going to rent it and get a screen capture. It has been a while and I saw it in a store when it came out. From what I remember it is when a monster (I think Sully) is pushing a cart down a hall way with a bunch of computer stuff on it. They go to a side shot and it's a pretty clear image and I was pretty sure at the time it was a 746 with the microphone dragging on the ground behind the card. Let me know what you find...

15. KI4OIU

KI4OIU Guest

in one of the later scenes they are outside in the parking lot and you can see the 11 meter vetical on a tv mast on top of the BBQ joint....

I too had to pause it and see the SENECA label.....LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.