Amateur Licensing in Mexico On Hold?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Jan 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K4KYV

    K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

    I read a short blurb in the latest QST about the licensing situation there. Apparently they are going through some kind of "restructuring" of the telecommunications regulations, which affects reciprocal operating permits between the US and Mexican hams. But the interesting thing the article goes on to say is that there is no examination requirement to acquire a Mexican ham ticket, and that until the new rules are in place they will no longer be issuing new licences or renewing old ones. So are existing Mexican hams whose tickets expire during this interim period, S.O.L. until the authorities straighten things out?

    As I recall, the ITU regulations require each country to impose some kind of qualifying examination for its amateur licensees, but without any specified standards. Could a "no-exam" ham ticket in Mexico be a harbinger of something down the road in other countries, including north of the border?
    1 person likes this.
  2. AA7EJ

    AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Could a "no-exam" ham ticket in Mexico be a harbinger of something down the road in other countries, including north of the border?

    Sure, logical - first no code than no exam.

    The appliance operators unite, and we shall overcame!
    WQ4G and (deleted member) like this.
  3. N5AL

    N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Since the restructuring, I don't think the rules are yet in place for a reciprocal operating permit from Mexico, but I could be wrong. Even when they were being offered, they weren't that convenient to obtain. Under the old system, you had to pay around US$100.00, for a reciprocal operating permit and the permission typically took 60 days to be approved in Mexico City. The reciprocal operating permit was only valid for as long as the travel visa (FMT) was valid -- usually 180 days. The reciprocal operating permits were valid for longer periods of time for persons in the process of obtaining Mexican residency.

    Previously, during the restructuring period, the holders of Mexican ham radio licenses were told to send in their renewal paperwork if their license was expiring. They were also told to continue submitting their past-year operating statistics document, that all Mexican hams are required to submit each January. This would insure that hams would retain their licenses and could continue operating until the new system was in place. It also resulted in quite a backlog of ham radio paperwork for the Mexican IFT (Federal Institute of Telecommunications) to process once things got started again.

    Since a regular Mexican ham radio license (i.e., XE callsign) is considered by the government to be a "concession" and not a "permission", it is only available to Mexican citizens. I believe they are issuing new ham radio licenses again. The cost is 1,425.58 pesos (~USD $66), making the Mexican ham radio license rather expensive when compared to other countries.

    I think the new Mexican ham licensing system is kind of like the VE system in the U.S. There is an nationwide ham radio organization called the FMRE (Mexican Federation of Radio Experimenters), which is analogous to the ARRL. Authorized clubs affiliated with the FMRE can offer ham radio courses and administer exams to prospective hams. Next, when the prospective ham solicits a license from the government IFT, he provides documentation that he has passed the appropriate course.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    VE7PHM and N0NB like this.
  4. KT1F

    KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

    Any Mexican (or anyone else) can get a US license now. All they need to do is pass the test and have a US postal address. I don't know if there are any US VE sesions in Mexico but it would be possible to arrange.
  5. W5TTP

    W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

    I might be missing something here. Why would a Mexican citezens want a United States amateur licence? Sure, all you need is an U.S. address, but what would be the point? I am assuming that the Mexican would be mainly operating in Mexico.

    VE7PHM likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

    KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Yeah but you can't use the license of another country, in your own country if you are living there.

    CEPT only applies to "visitors" not citizens.

    Pointless for Mexican citizens to get a U.S. license and somehow think the Mexican government will accept that as operating authority.

    That would be like U.S. citizens getting a Mexican license and somehow expecting the FCC will accept that as operating authority.

    Each country requires you to get a license from their own government, not from the government of another country.
    VE7PHM and KU4X like this.
  7. K4KYV

    K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

    So, the prospective ham passes a course, presumably with both technical and operating practices content, instead of sitting for a licensing exam?

    Considering the prevailing wages and salaries for workers in Mexico, that makes it even more expensive.
  8. KP4SX

    KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    I wonder if that is an annual fee like in many countries?
  9. VE7PHM

    VE7PHM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Do you or anyone else following this thread know what the current situation is regarding reciprocal licensing in Mexico? Has anything changed since 2017?
  10. WZ7U

    WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page


Share This Page