AM station in the 40m band?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA3BQE, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6CSB

KN6CSB Ham Member QRZ Page

ya, shortwave stations are on 40 meter, I first heard them and remember having hard time tuning into them since I didn't realize some are in AM, once I did could hear good signal from several
    check out https://www.short-wave.info/ good way to find out what it is you are listening to.

2. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Back then I think I had maybe 3 crystals cut for the 40M novice band. Usually one of them worked out.

What was fun was tuning up and down, listening for a response to my CQ. "Oh my gosh, I hear my call!" None of today's simplex or "up 5" nonsense. :)

W0FS, W4NNF and KA2CZU like this.
  3. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We're limited to below 7.200 here in Asia, because it's broadcast from China and North Korea after that.

HL1ZIX

NL7W likes this.
  4. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's only Region 2 (the Americas) that has 7.200-7.300 for Amateur use.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

having a novice license, crystal controlled, on 40 at night was an art form of calling cq and listening in between carriers.

(W4ZD described it well :) )

W0FS likes this.
  6. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awwww, it's always fun to see those guys on 7200 and 7205 getting drowned out by Sudan Radio or the other Ethiopian station around that frequency. Based on some of the transmissions I have heard from some of them I would prefer to DX Sudan Radio than listen to the crap coming from them,

W0FS likes this.
  7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

why....I remember when all this was farmland sonny! We had to carve our radio parts out of coal and hunks of wood....

NL7W, N1VAU, W5INC and 1 other person like this.
  8. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Most likely some chap ordering dinner....

We have a local liddite that enjoys recording Cuban sports updates and then playing them from time to time on the local kerchunker machine.

VK4HAT likes this.
  9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe there's still people that don't know about the broadcasters on 40M. But I guess everyone is new at some point.

I do miss getting the news with "a twist" from Radio Moscow- was always hoot to hear their take on things. Always enjoyed listening to the BBC.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be happy you weren't on 40 in the late 60s - early 70s...screaming heterodynes from one SBCC station after another. :(

AC8UN likes this.