ad: chuckmartin

AM station in the 40m band?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA3BQE, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:20 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA3BQE

KA3BQE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

7.258 tonight sounded like an AM Spanish station. 8-9pm but a lot of talk about Pakistan I didn't take the time to listen to. Music also.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Shortwave AM broadcast has been a part of 40 meters since the beginning of time!

In the 1970s it was pretty insane - rendering 40m almost useless much of the time.

Dave
    W7UUU

KK4CUL, KA4DPO, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  3. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

40 novice band was a trip. Trying to complete QSOs with 579 (or weaker) stations that suddenly got obliterated when a plus 50 db station opened up right on top. The odd sounding music that was like pots and pans rattling, but with an acid trip like quality. I miss it.

WA6OSX, KA4DPO, NN3W and 1 other person like this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are still a lot of shortwave broadcast stations in the "41 meter band" which overlaps the ham band from 7200 to 7300. See here: https://www.short-wave.info

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NOTHING like it was in the 70s and early 80s before they all started folding up or turning into religious content.

Just not the same. You had to be there.

Dave
    W7UUU

WA6OSX, W0FS, KB2FCV and 4 others like this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was.

7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, my first novice rig was a Globe Chief transmitter paired with an HR-10B. I owned one crystal at the start and it was cut for 7.101 and sat right under the carrier of a pretty strong shortwave station. Just about all my QSOs were in the early afternoon, after school but before the shortwave stations clobbered the band.

NL7W likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, c’mon Dave. Radio Moscow every 20 kHz, VOA every 30 kHz, the BBC, Radio Prague, Radio Havana, Radio Tirana, Radio Canada International... you don’t miss the 41 meter propaganda wars?

/sarcasm

“Wall to wall and treetop tall” didn’t only apply above 21 MHz.

I miss the stations. I don’t miss 7100 - 7300 kc being clobbered from before sunset to well into the night, every night. Especially when, on paper, the broadcasters were supposed to avoid interference to Region 2 amateur radio stations... and then they got that rule changed at a WARC conference...

I don’t miss the Woodpecker, either. But at least, once someone figured it out and started spreading the word, they could be messed with.

K0IDT and W7UUU like this.
  9. W7UUU

I do miss the SW stations back then - but I cannot deny they made my Novice and General days on 40m MISERABLE at the time. It wasn't really until the late 80s and early/mid 90s that I really came to appreciate the SW station "invaders" to the ham bands.

Nowadays it's just a wasteland of religious broadcasters mostly, with Radio Habana still holding on

Dave
    W7UUU

10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thankfully we don't get the Hell-O-Loo-La lot here on the upper part of 40m at night. Its all Chinese and I don't understand a word of it.

NL7W likes this.