ad: Radclub22-1

AM Rally 2021 Operating Event, Feb 6 - Feb 8 2020

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Dec 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

When the FCC first relaxed the 75m sub-band restrictions allowing us to work phone all the way down to 3600, there was a significant migration of AMers "down below". Several went to the trouble to upgrade from Advanced or General up to Extra, just so they could operate on the new phone frequencies. There was talk of how nice the new frequencies were to operate, minus all the QRM, congestion and nonsense heard on 3870-90.

But once the novelty wore off, one by one, AM operators began moving back up to their old stompin' grounds in the ghetto, and now, I rarely hear any AM activity to speak of below 3870.

The same thing happened on 40m when the broadcasters first moved off 7100-7200. A number of AMers became active on or about the old 7160 kc/s AM frequency that dated back to the late 70s and early 80s, but again that was short lived and now about the only AM activity I ever hear there is a small group of 5-landers during daylight hours. 40m condx haven't been very conducive even for that lately.

2. W9JSW

W9JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

With Gates Iron from the mighty AC0OB! A two year plan has finally come together.

3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found more habitual AM activity than ever in the area from 3700-3733, especially in the mornings and weekends, but also in the afternoons. There also is a nearly-daily gathering on 3695, which is out of my license class, but present for those with the Extra.

At night, say, after the band starts to go long, yes, there is very little AM activity "down low."

W4GUZ and AC0OB like this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand why more AM operators put up an inverted L with a ground system and get on 160 m. at night. Use their 80 m. dipole for rx antenna. This time of year 160 has been great in the evenings. I told an operator last night at the end of an enjoyable QSO that AM with snow on the ground, below zero clear nights on 160 is the way AM was meant to be. However, if everyone stuck on 75 m. got on 160, these nice genteel QSOs would get wrecked by umpteen breakers. I take it all back. the broadcash band sucks. Y'all stay away.