ad: elecraft

AM Rally 2021 Operating Event, Feb 6 - Feb 8 2020

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Dec 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

With 2020 being ushered out the door, here's something to look forward to...

It's coming!

0000Z Saturday February 6 - 0700Z Monday February 8

( 7:00pm EST Friday February 5 - 2:00am EST Monday February 8 )
    ( 4:00pm PST Friday February 5 - 11:00pm PST Sunday February 7 )

The annual AM Rally operating event, held on the first weekend in February, encourages all operators to explore amateur radio's original voice mode by showcasing the various types of AM equipment in use today ranging from early vacuum tube rigs to the newest SDR based transceivers.

"Participation in the the AM Rally has continued to grow over the past five years as more ops explore the mode. Based on the success of last year's "Ladies Night" feature on Saturday, YLs are again invited to take to the airwaves and enjoy the camaraderie. For all ops, the AM Rally operating event is a great way to beat the winter, and covid, blues."

The AM Rally is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), using any type of radio equipment. Modern, Vintage, Tube, Transistor, Software Defined, Military, Boat Anchor, Broadcast, Home Brew or Commercially available radio are encouraged to join in on the AM fun on the 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, and 6 meter bands.

"Those who have never tried the AM mode will find plenty of help if needed. AMers are an inviting group who enjoy welcoming newcomers".

Details at www.AMRally.com

2. N1BCG

"AM Rally 2021 Operating Event, Feb 6 - Feb 8 2020"

Yep. Time to fire the proof readers...

N4WLL likes this.
  3. WZ8J

WZ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

meter GK 500.jpg Wow, what production values...this has really got me jazzed for an epic rally (and I thought Paris to Dakar was exciting)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. N1BCG

Tonight!

And as a bonus, there are rumblings of Ladies Night returning Saturday evening.

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

While I was finishing up an SX-110 last night I heard Tom, K1JJ, Kerri, ? and John K9JSW all sounding great and at least 10 over 9.

John had his mighty quad 813's just a smokin.' :cool:

Pheel

W9JSW likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I operated some on Friday and Sunday night, but didn't feel like fighting Saturday night's QRN. Made one contact with a VE3 down on 3705, a couple of contacts on 3880-85, and several on 160m. I preferred to expand AM presence rather than to deal with pile-ups on the usual 75m frequencies. Didn't try 40m.

7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I stuck with 160 m. but for some reason these rallies never seem to involve 160. I had QSOs with the usual suspects but condx were less than great. Not awful but there was enough snow static and QRN from Fla. thunderstorms to make it a bit of a PITA. Didn't try last night though.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a few on 40 AM nice to hear the activity.

AC0OB likes this.
  9. AC0OB

Same here. I called on 3.710 and 3.730 to get out of the ghetto but received no response.

Staying within one small slice of any one band is silly, IMHO.

Pheel

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  10. AC0OB

That should be,
    "and John W9JSW all sounding great and at least 10 over 9.

John had his mighty quad 813's just a smokin.' :cool:"

Pheel

W9JSW likes this.