AM in the AM

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2NBC, Feb 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

K3XR said:
    Yeah, well he didn't make a good 'impression' on me or my friend Duane, KK4AM. We had found these real nice cabinets. 19" racks with louvered panels and a door you could lock. Nice for making a modern looking HB rig. He harped on Duane to get him one. So we packed it along with other equipment and drove from Lynchburg, VA to the Timonium hamfest one year. All he did was say thanks and didn't offer us as much as a flat 813 for bringing the cabinet up other than what we paid for it. I heard that he died in jail down near Harrisburg. Karma is for real!

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you have a broadcast stick you'll often need more than 100 w. Maybe in 1 land there are enough guys within 150 miles to work so 100 w. to a cloud burner works but if condx sag you need everything you can bring to the dance: power, audio processing and a vertical with a decent ground system.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

One of his frequent impressions was a very authentic sounding imitation of the voice of Henry Kissinger, closely spoofing even the unique accent. So the story goes, one night on 75m Ed transmitted a fake interview with Kissinger whom he supposedly was entertaining as a guest in his shack, alternating between his natural voice and the Kissinger imitation. They "discussed" some serious political policy issue (strictly of Ed's imagination), and someone happened to have tuned in and recorded the transmission. It sounded so realistic, and Ed apparently had correctly guessed something that was supposed to be classified or privileged information, that the person sent the recording either to the FBI or some high government official. Kissinger allegedly was called in by one of his superiors to account for what had sounded like a serious security breach.

KA4KOE and K3XR like this.
  4. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right! I only managed late night conversations to distant stations during the winter, when there were low static levels. I did have a vertical component to my "L", with 8 radials. I used a 32V3 in tune mode to drive a Hammarlund HXL-1 amplifier, at 175 Watts carrier, the most I could must without 220 Vac, being in my parent's barn, on the second floor. My Model-A was parked on the first floor. I had a pot belly stove there to keep warm, but only used that when there was snow on the (wooden shingled) roof. It sure was a great place to decompress after a day/evening of playing television for a living. I moved my shack to my house 30 years ago. These days, I use an NVIS antenna. My AM activities on 75 meters with my DX-100 are purely regional.

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed Bolton was an interesting character alright, but in my personal encounters with him, he had a self-destructive way of handing the world around him. First there was a federal tax situation when his mother passed away, then there was the common-law wife, Patty, who he later alleged was a gold digger. A domestic situation there, allegedly involving her daughter, is what landed him in jail to the end of his life. I found a 2008 Youtube recording, sounds like one of the late night, early morning sessions on the air, in which he has aligned himself with some of the popular, unfounded political theories of the era.