ad: HamInsurance-1

AM in the AM

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2NBC, Feb 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2NBC

W2NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

What to do if you’re having a bit of trouble sleeping at 1:45 AM EST?

Listen to full “quieting” AM from this guy:

K4KYV - Yes, AM as it should be .. :)

W4KYR, WA3VJB, K5UJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

The band was very quiet later last night. Tonight it is full of static crashes!

3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

im 80 miles from chicago, get 720 clear. cant get 890 wls?? 780 is noisy.
    listen to talk radio till its too boring

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know how on earth folks can stay up that late. If I try I either lie in bed until 10 a.m. and miss half the day with the rest in a groggy state, or I get up at my usual 4 a.m. time with little sleep which is unhealthy. It's starting to come out that lack of sleep is a contributing factor causing dementia later in life. All my radio time the past two weeks or so has been sucked up with my recalcitrant 3-400 rig instead of operating. And now QRN is kicking up on 160. But the season isn't over yet. Thanks for the recording Jeff.
    They're on a tower now that's around 230 degrees at 780 so you may be in the phase cancel ring caused by the high angle lobe.

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a nice 20+ S9 chat with Don around 11pm EST, Saturday night @3727Kc.
    He has been pointing out the lack of activity "down low" in the 80M phone band,
    and I was delighted he followed a couple of QSOs I was having the previous hour with some of our Canadian AM compadres.
    At one point, I glanced at one of the Kiwi internet receiver nodes and saw a 25Kc swath below us, vacant,
    all the way down to 3700Kc. Wow, in years past, that never would have happened on a weekend night with low static and strong sigs.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminded me of my Dad. (50s early 60s) He would get ready for work in the morning and listen to an old Philco tube radio. His favorite station was WIP 610 out of Philly. I can smell the eggs cooking and the coffee brewing as I type this. Those were the days when they had DJs and announcers on the radio that sounded like they belonged there. Joe McCauley "The Morning Mayor" was the DJ. Today we, unfortunately, have factors other than those best qualified to determine who gets the job.
    https://www.broadcastpioneers.com/joemccauley.html

Swerved a bit off-topic but yes AM on the ham bands is great in the morning or any time of the day or night. It soothes the ears.

KW6LA likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I assume that isn't a web-SDR from New Zealand?

I remember late one night, about 4 years ago, I was in QSO with Timtron WA1HLR in Maine. We were both getting sleepy, so we decided to call it a night, and sign out. Before shutting off the filaments, I heard a weak AM station calling me; we were on one of the usual AM frequencies, around 3885. At first I thought, probably just another pissweaker running 25 watts from a plastic radio to an 18' high G5RV, and was debating whether to bother answering him, but then I deciphered his callsign, ZL-something (don't remember his call). So I answered him, and Tim joined back in. Although not 100% solid copy, we were all mutually readable enough to carry on a three-way conversation, Tennessee-Maine-New Zealand for about 20 minutes before we finally quit for the night. My best AM DX ever on 75m. I wasn't aware that ZLs were even able to legally operate above 3800 kc/s.

8. W2NBC

W2NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

There have been a myriad of nights, long into darkness, that KYV and HLR have had truly interesting and insightful QSO’s.

Two radio living and “talking” valve-techno-experts broadcasting a litany of really important stuff we all can learn from..

I have, for sure.

75 meters late (or early in the AM), can become quiet. Some nights, it’s like skipping a stone on a smooth RF pond.

It’s is a great time to copy the AM beacons on the band..

W3SLK likes this.
  9. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

When I worked second shift in television, I was a night owl and loved operating after midnight. I met a whole new bunch of AM'ers from 5, 6, and 7 land, though sometimes, it was just me and Uncle Ed ,WA3PUN, on at 3 AM. During wintertime, there was a period I was able to regularly work into Madison WI on 160m with my ARC-5 at 4 Watts. Sound like it would be miserable to be at the other end of 4 Watts, but I rarely had a complaint about being weak. Other directions of the compass, not so good. My impending retirement makes my return to night owl status likely, with 100 watts from my DX-100.

K3XR likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember Ed, WA3PUN (SK 2015) very well. He was a nightly fixture on 75 AM for many years. He liked to do voice impressions and if I recall he made an appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.