Am I Mobile, Portable or What?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF5YU, Mar 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. G0NMY

G0NMY Ham Member QRZ Page

That is slightly different to UK hams, over here if you can drive or walk around with your antenna while continuing to operate your radio, then you are Mobile.
    If you have an antenna that is say on a pole in a temporary semi-fixed position, you can not carry it around while you are operating, then you are Portable

:)

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes these days, if you're walking with a handheld rig, you are Mobile, the same as in a vehicle.

But originally, you used to have to PAY for an additional Mobile licence to use a rig in a car.

However, you could sign "Pedestrian Mobile" without having to obtain an additional licence. (good news, as I built several handheld rigs when I was a schoolboy, and couldn't afford an extra licence each year!)

This was changed several years ago. No extra licences . . . and the main one is even free these days.

Roger G3YRO

3. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it when people us an ht and they say they are mobile in a moving car......so you are portable mobile or mobile portable . Some use an ht in the kitchen and some have even transmitted while in a hot tub -what is that all about?

4. KD5TMS

KD5TMS Ham Member QRZ Page

While I can get with the logic of the responses, do we have any CFR definitions? I've found below:

There is no such definition for a portable station. But there's this:

When I search for any use of the word 'portable', it tends to refer to cell phones, personal radios, and the like. So - legally - hand helds are portable. :p

I make no argument either way, as stated previously any type of /M or /P adder is no longer required, but it's interesting brain work.

AG5DB likes this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the definition from the 1978 Part 97:

Portable operation-
    Radiocommunication conducted from a specific geographical location other than that shown on the station license.

Mobile operation-
    Radiocommunication conducted while in motion or during halts at unspecified locations.

The old definition of portable was a fixed station set up away from your primary QTH. As such, a handheld carried around is not "portable" but rather "mobile", since it can be used while in motion, or used at random places as you move about.

KD5TMS likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Portable phone or mobile phone?

lol

7. KD5TMS

KD5TMS Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

8. KM4TFG

KM4TFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the same boat. What I do is make my calls with KM4TFG and when I give the QTH, I state the /# and location. So they know where I am at the time for their records. The only problems I can see is if you are answering a contest call that is based on location. It would get them the home station location that is on your FCC address. Haven't had any problems so far. Most Hams just want to have a conversation.
    KM4TFG currently /7