ad: elecraft

Am I Mobile, Portable or What?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF5YU, Mar 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your Mortable

2. NQ6G

NQ6G Ham Member QRZ Page

It used to be when you moved to a different area you got a new call and now when people move around they keep their call so you just
    ID with you call

K3XR likes this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes your Callsign rationale in the USA is very confusing . . .

I remember the days when you heard a W4 and knew he was in Florida, etc etc . . .

So if I go to the USA. should I sign W/G3YRO . . . or include the State letter, like W4/G3YRO?

At least here in Britain we have retailned the different Country identifiers, which you merely change as you cross the border. So if mobile in Scotland I'd become GM3YRO/M.

In terms of suffixes, our rules changed a while ago, then changed back to what they used to be !

So if you're Portable (at a temporary location, like in a vehicle or tent) you're /P . . . but if you're at a temporary QTH (ie building) you are /A.

Roger G3YRO

4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the requirements for a US licensee to operate mobile or from a temporary residence in Canada?

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Callsigns used on the ISS:
    NA1SS (US)
    RS0ISS (Russia)
    DP0ISS (Germany)
    OR4ISS (Belgium)
    PI9ISS (Used during André Kuipers' stay aboard the ISS, obsolete for now)
    IR0ISS (Italy)

The ISS doesn't use a suffix, and it is as home/mobile/portable as it gets. :)

ND6M likes this.
  6. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the exact same rationale. If you move to a different country here you get a new call sign. But since here people move between states probably as often as people over there move between cities to actually be a similar situation then in England you would be required to get a new call every time someone moved to a different town/city. I don't think that would be a popular change.

7. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Subscriber QRZ Page

Or Portabile.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is "or what".

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Mobile = On Wheels
    Portable = On Foot

10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let us not forget Pedestrian Mobile!

Trivia Bonus: USMIL used to have a radio category "Transportable" which we ham's would call "Portable." Thus the TRC-77, an HF CW only rig meant to be used with a wire antenna.

The USMIL catagory "Portable" is what we would call "Pedestrian Mobile", i.e., to be used while walking (or diving for cover.) So the PRC-77 was a VHF phone rig with whip antenna.

Al