Am I Mobile, Portable or What?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF5YU, Mar 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF5YU

KF5YU Ham Member QRZ Page

We're full time RV'rs and I just put an HF station in RV. My FCC address is my mail drop. When I transmit from another city then am I /M or /P or what? I know that if I go to another designation then it's /#. My call sign is a kf5... but if I travel for example to Florida then it becomes kf5.../4. If I travel within the same designation but a different city then would it be kf5.../M even though the RV is also my home.
    Very confused....
    Thanks

2. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

In my as-yet-limited-experience, I believe the only requirement is to I.D. your FCC assigned call sign. As long as you are within the U.S., nothing else is required.

Any additional suffix is simply courtesy information. In your case, I would simply identify as KF5YU and not worry about a stroke suffix.

KK4NSF and WG7X like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

None of that is required any more. Technically, if you are capable of moving with the station set up, you are a mobile. If you deploy an antenna that is not capable of being used while moving, you are portable. In reality, it probably doesn't make much difference. Callsign would be "KF5YU portable (or mobile) 4"

WU8Y, KC5NCZ and KG5EXW like this.
  4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I'd add to the above replies is that I usually ID as "Mobile #" (where # is the number of the call district) when I'm away from my home call area. Of course, there's no longer a legal requirement, but it gives my location to any prospective contacts who want to aim a beam at me. If I'm on the West coast, and they point the antenna to my listed address, we might lose an opportunity for a fun QSO.

Enjoy "life on the run"!
    David / N2PQW

KM4BDH, N6QIC and KG5EXW like this.
  5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have said, just saying your call sign is sufficient.

If I was in a different call area I would use "this is N6QIC portable and then the call area #". This lets everyone know that you are visiting the different call area.

It also lets people know that you are not just using a vanity call sign with the wrong area designation. Probably most helpful on a VHF/UHF repeater out of your own call area. When I here someone visiting California, I will always try to be more helpful to them to make them feel welcome.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When camping just use my call to identify and during the course of the QSO mention mobile or in a RV and give the location.

KZ3L likes this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By FCC definition:

"Mobile" means the entire setup is in a vehicle capable of motion without any changes to the station, antenna, power source, etc.

"Portable" means there are parts of the setup that are not capable of motion without any changes.

So, suppose your setup in the RV includes antenna, power source, etc, that someone can operate while driving (not necessarily the driver). That's mobile, even if the RV isn't in motion.

But if you park and put up an antenna, connect to a power source, etc. - that's portable.

You are not required to ID as either, but for definition's sake....

73 de Jim, N2EY

WU8Y, AG5DB, K6CLS and 2 others like this.
  8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Mobile is used to let people expect fades, dropouts, R2D2, etc. from going through bad coverage spots. If you are stationary you should stay about the same.

N3SGW likes this.
  9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Only the SHADOW knows!!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.
    I used to run mobile and even though vertical was big and totally impractical to drive with as it would hit tree's , low bridges etc .. , I COULD drive without having to dismantle or pull down anything.
    So I signed with mobile.

gregW:) OH2FFY