Am I losing my passion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember -50 and -55 degrees F working north of Fairbanks, along the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System.

Eric knows about those temps. North Pole, Alaska has bottomed out at -67 deg F in the past.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:21 AM
    KC8VWM likes this.
  2. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that add capacitive or inductive loading?

3. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Coldest natural cold I've been in is -25. That was on a roof trying to splice some fiber cables. We have walk in chamber for product testing that go lower than -40.

NL7W likes this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

We will have to ask Eric that question since he's the final authority on such matters.

So has anyone heard from Eric lately?

...Eric?!

...Eric!?

NL7W likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure he could measure it!

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Maybe he's doing that now at the meeting.

Some guy is probably standing outside with his tongue stuck to a flag pole antenna while it's 50 below.

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VF:

At -22 C, with the wind chill, that isn't quite -8 F. Balmy weather!

Growing up, in the "snow capital" of Indiana, during the winter when it got up to 0-degrees F (actual temperature, not "wind chill") you felt like taking off your coat because of the heat wave!

Especially in college, before I got married, during Christmas vacation, I had to help my father run a heating oil delivery route. We would start about 3:00 AM and get to the oil depot to fill the truck with #1 and #2 heating oil. The thermometer, on the wall of the pump station, would read like -18 F. It would take about 20-minutes to fill the truck and by that time it would be another degree, or two, colder making it like -19 to -20. It would take about an hour and a half to make deliveries and the truck would be nearly empty. So, back to the oil depot.

By this time, the temperature would usually be a couple of degrees lower hovering around -22. By the time the truck was full again, the temperature would be down around -24 F. Fortunately, by the time the truck needed refilling again, the sun was up and it would start to get warm. During the day, it might make it as high as -10 F before the sun started going down. We generally stopped delivering oil around 10:30 PM to go home, get a bite to eat, and get 3 to 3.5 hours of sleep before going out again. People needed heating oil and there were only so many oil trucks to deliver that oil.

This was before "wind chill" was widely reported. The temperature was like 10 below and not "10 below but feels like 14 below". What the thermometer read was what you got!

My father usually wore a wool felt jacket when it was much below zero. At zero, or above, he just wore a "wind-breaker" type of jacket! As for me, I had a heavy Mackinaw coat and heavy gloves!

My freshman year at Georgia Tech, in Atlanta, Georgia, other students would ask me why I just didn't go to Purdue University. My "stock" answer was that it gets cold in West Lafayette, Indiana!

December 1964 was the last winter I spent in northwestern Indiana. I got married my junior year in college and have been in the South since 1965. I have seen below zero temperatures both here in the Dallas, Texas, area and in the Atlanta, Georgia, area. However, those have been rare occasions. Also, a couple of times during the winter, I have seen snow on the ground in Tucson, Arizona (in the city and NOT just on Mount Lemon). I will visit northwestern Indiana during the summer months, but stay away if at all possible. I did have to spend a week, on business, during December 1994 in Indianapolis. That was more than enough for me!

Glen, K9STH

WA4KCN likes this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he’s out trying to measure something... which brings a whole new meaning to the expression “a frozen rope”...;)

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done this when it's gets below -10F here, which is rare. The record lows for Jan and Feb were both set in 1951 here, at -26F and -27F. We had snow here today, but yesterday it was 60...