Am I in the Minority or Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

End of that
    I think Glenn's post makes it quite clear about the rule as it is written and how it pertains to when passing third party traffic with countries that indeed have a third party reciprocal agreements and allow for such traffic.
    Which Countries are those?

K8BZ likes this.
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

1970 was 49 years ago. The average age of a living ham right now is 57 according to a source or two....so they were 8 years old in 1970.

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Damn. I'm almost average! Can't have that!

(Turned 7 in 1970, will be 56 next month.)

KA2CZU likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Am I in the Minority or Misunderstood?"

KJ4VTH likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

K6LPM asks "Which Countries are those?"

(Third-party operating agreements) See post #61

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it lasted to the 70s. CB began to erode the public image of amateur radio almost from the outset. In 1959, hams were looked upon as a technically oriented and somewhat intellectual elite, even if perhaps a little eccentric. At that time many operators built their own transmitters and an amateur licence was a source of pride and could be a great advantage when applying for a job, especially in a technical field. The image of a serious-looking ham wearing a white shirt and neck-tie wouldn't have been out of place.

Once CB had gained widespread public attention, the average Joe Bloe failed to understand the difference between ham radio and CB, and assumed they were the same thing. The stereotype dumb CBer wearing a baseball cap, sitting in front of a little plastic box and yelling nonsense into a hand-held microphone attached to a spiral cord crept into the image of "ham" radio. This was greatly exacerbated in the mid 70s by the great CB boom, encouraged by the CB-trucker movies and songs, and the public confused CB and ham radio to the point that it had become "faintly embarrassing" to admit to a stranger or a new acquaintance that one was an amateur radio operator. I remember hearing someone in the mid 70s describe ham radio as "industrial strength chick repellent".

It's all a moot point to-day, because the average Joe Bloe Public has never heard of amateur radio or CB, or if he has, couldn't care less about any difference.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Standard DXpedition QSO standard sign off: UR 5NN TU , UR 59 73 or 5NN Dit Dit

9. KA4ETV

KA4ETV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes when I read posts I wonder why I've spent so much time getting licensed in the first place. No matter who you are, how you found ham radio, etc. Someone is always going to have something nasty to say. In all honestly if you listen to some of the people on 11 meters they are nicer and more professional than a lot of hams. Just an observation and I don't want to make anyone upset. Lord knows there's a double standard out here. If you get attacked on a forum and try to defend yourself you get the grief.

WU8Y likes this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

a ham friend of mine posted a 13 Colonies related comment on my facebook page which meant it was open for all to see. One of my neighbors asked me about it -- "what is that, some type of CB thing??" I tried to set the record straight and told him it's licensed, includes different modes, frequencies, has global range, etc.

He just glazed over and said "well, I dont need CB to tell me where the cops are b/c my phone tells me that. . . "

[​IMG]

K4KYV likes this.