Am I in the Minority or Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

As CW goes its that you have copies the call correctly and acknowledge it out of curtsey. As with SSB, its a polite acknowledgement as well. I always make a point of answering or acknowledging with the others call out of respect. 73 Rich

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IDX and WY:

Until sometime in the 1980s, the regulations read as follows:

Section 97.87 Station idenfification.

(a) An amateur radio station shall be identified by the transmission of its call sign at the beginning and end of each single transmission or exchange of transmissions and at intervals not to exceed ten minutes during any single transmission or exchange of transmissions of more than ten minutes duration. Additionally, at the end of a telegraphy (other than teleprinter) or telephony transmissions between amateur radio stations, the call sign (or the generally accepted network identifier) shall be given for the station, or for at least one of group of stations, with which communication was established.

Therefore, the sending of "shave and a hair cut" without any identification was blatantly illegal!

When the FCC monitoring stations were active, the engineers did spend a fair amount of time monitoring the amateur radio bands. I personally knew the engineer in charge at the Honey Grove, Texas (Dallas / Fort Worth area), monitoring station. He, and several of the other engineers at that facility, were amateur radio operators.

The engineers did pay more attention to the Novice Class frequencies because there were a LOT more technical (i.e. harmonics) as well as more procedural violations. However, at least for the Honey Grove station, the "pink tickets" sent out were really intended to get the attention of the operator during the early days of their being an amateur radio operator and put the fear of god into them where violations were concerned. Then, the operator would pay a lot more attention into operating correctly.

Getting a "pink ticket" in the mail would usually get the offending operator's attention in a hurry! Since a written reply was required in most instances, the operator usually spent some time correcting the problem and trying very hard not to get another "pink ticket". I never got a "pink ticket" but I knew a couple of other operators who did. The result was that the offending operators cleaned up their act in a hurry.

Glen, K9STH

NL7W likes this.
  3. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, makes sense now.

4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't say it wasn't illegal without any other identification. I said it wasn't illegal IN ADDITION to proper ID.

In my (later than you are talking about ) days I never heard it used as you describe, as a kind of abbreviated CQ. I only heard it at the end of a regular QSO that included proper ID.

5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a long time after an enjoyable CW QSO, I'd use the shave and haircut biz.

Now I know Glen's history lesson.

Doesn't matter to me. Still like it.

If the FCC doesn't like it, they can take away my birthday.

6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KJ4VTH and KV6O like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't that "thinly sliced cabbage?":confused::D:rolleyes:

WZ7U and K3XR like this.