ad: w5yi

Am I in the Minority or Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it's not illegal, as long as it's in addition to and not instead of proper identification.

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To the original question;

Yes.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that the statute of limitations is long passed...

Back in the late 70s members of some 75m SSB group all installed "roger beeps" on their transceivers. Of course, with SSB the "beep" was indistinguishable from a simple "dit" on CW, and those beeps were much more penetrating and audible from a distance than the voices. I decided to have some fun, by tuning my rig on CW, and carefully setting the VFO so that my carrier generated exactly the same pitch as the roger beeps. Then, during their roundtable I would periodically send a random "dit"while someone was talking. At first they were totally confused, but I think they eventually caught on, and pretty quickly the "roger beeps" were turned off.

WZ7U and WD4IGX like this.
  4. KA4ETV

KA4ETV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm making a general statement about my view of ham radio and the current state of affairs. I didn't say anyone attacked me here. On some websites that will go unnamed the power clique will ban you if you stand up for yourself or don't agree that everyone should grab their ankles for the ARRL. I stand by what I said. Ham radio is kind of a circus on a lot of days. Do I wish things were different? Sure.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got it. And agree that some are like that. "On a lot of days" ham radio can be something of a circus but: 1) still not even in the same circus-league as 1970s-80s CB, 2) online, EVERYTHING turns into a circus, and 3) remember Sturgeon's Law.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

"Now that the statute of limitations is long passed...
    during their roundtable I would periodically send a random "dit" while someone was talking."

So that was YOU during the moon landing? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    K6LPM, NL7W and WZ7U like this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

He's been at it since Sputnik!

K6LPM, NL7W and WZ7U like this.
  8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I'm just dense, but why would sending the "shave and a hair cut" without any identification and tune around for the "two bits" draw the ire of the FCC? Was there once a requirement to identify when sending CQ, or some variation of such? :confused:

Obviously I have no memory of the regulations in the 1950's; I wasn't born until the 1960's.

NL7W likes this.
  9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

There went the neighborhood