ad: ARR

Am I in the Minority or Misunderstood?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Jul 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had my Call Sign for about 5 years, so I consider myself a Toddler of the hobby.

As I studied for the Tech exam, I recall, "all you need to know is your own call sign when ending a QSO"

Something like "73 my friend, Kilo Mike Six, Charlie November Delta".

I do not end it with "73 my friend, Wiskey Alpha three Zulu, Kilo Mike Six, Charlie November Delta". If I am required to end a QSO this way, I must have missed that chapter in the study guide.

Is it wrong to acknowledge to Call Sign of the person I'm about to end my QSO with? I don't think so, I just don't roll that way and the biggest "offenders" (if there is such an offense) are those that got their Call Sign's shortly after God got his!

Has there been a Cultural Ham Shift over the past decades?

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing that is required is to identify yourself. It was sort of the standard etiquette when I first licensed to also give the call sign of the other station(s)too but it is not required.

VK6APZ, K3KIC, KC2SIZ and 7 others like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It used to be the rule, decades ago, that you had to give the callsign of the person you were talking to. It's not wrong to do it today, but it is not required. Many people consider it good practice.

VK6APZ, K3KIC, W0AQ and 6 others like this.
  4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Both of the above are good answers.

VK6APZ, K3KIC, K9ASE and 7 others like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You DO have to use YOUR call sign, AND the call sign of the other station when in communication with the station of another nation (FCC rule/requirement.) Otherwise, you do not have to give the other op's call; just your own.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is ONLY true for domestic contacts. Contacts with other than FCC licensed entities require FULL and COMPLETE call of both stations.

7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually end my contacts with:

--... ...-- -.. . -.- --... -- . -- ...-.-

VE3BXG, KA3CTQ and NL7W like this.
  8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always give both. Is it really THAT inconvenient or time consuming? Jeez

VK6APZ, K3XR, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

This could be argued either way, like many things. One group loves hearing nine call signs strung end to end at the beginning and end of each round table transmission. The rationale is that it makes it clear who is participating in the conversation. Others will cite the redundancy of this practice and believe that IDs should only identify the transmission you are hearing.

It's very common in CW to begin and end each transmission with both call signs as an aid in identifying participants since voice recognition is not possible. CW ops with trained ears can actually recognize the "fists" of other ops and say each has a signature sound.

Incidentally, the rules suggest phonetics for clarity, but do not require their use. I can't imagine a CW conversation using phonetics, for example.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    WA9SVD likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That would have an interesting effect on rare dxpedition pileups I’m sure none of us would do.

KN1M and WA9SVD like this.