ad: ProAudio-1

Am I doin' it right?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ4RZZ, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's another site I find interesting: http://propnet.org/catch3.php?band=HY&last=24&call=&center=US

It's hard to tell from your photo - is that antenna right under the power drop for the house? It's probably nothing to worry about, but I tend to avoid those things when possible. In the very unlikely event the drop should fall, you could see sparks fly. And the further your antenna is from the house and power lines, the less noise you will likely hear.

2. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's another site I find interesting: http://propnet.org/catch3.php?band=HY&last=24&call=&center=US

It's hard to tell from your photo - is that antenna right under the power drop for the house? It's probably nothing to worry about, but I tend to avoid those things when possible. In the very unlikely event the drop should fall, you could see sparks fly. And the further your antenna is from the house and power lines, the less noise you will likely hear.

That one should work all over the country. You might try a nice vertical for those South Americans next time.

3. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi no the antenna is not under the feed, it's about 20 feet behind it. This is the only tree within 100 feet of my radio. I can't run a dipole from tree to tree because of the power lines. I am considering a vertical for the next antenna but I am still not sure how to build it.

4. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

A vertical is easy! Though for 10 meters, a vertical will PROBABLY perform better elevated. Ground mounted verticals typically are used on the low bands.

You can make a vertical for 10 meters by cutting a 1/4 wavelength wire, much like you did for the dipole except you need only one for the vertical element...and tie wrap it to a sturdy nonconductive support...A fiberglass rod (a fishing pole!) or a small diameter PVC will work well.

Then you need 1/4 wavelength radials. AT LEAST THREE but four is optimal. The radiating element goes to the center pin of an SO-239 and the radials go to the shield. Slightly downturned radials are typical but a 90 degree angle will work. Again, supports like PVC or fiberglass.

Or, a 10 meter JPOLE is a good vertical option you could consider.

5. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one, contacted Brazil just a few minutes ago! Cool!

6. KI4OWY

KI4OWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, by the way, welcome to Amateur Radio! It is a great hobby and you get to meet a lot of folks around the world. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.