ad: ARR

AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today I am calling on 7.293 right now! Anyone awake?

2. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Great conditions late last night into this morning, it was very quite with big signals.

Had a terrific QSO with Tim - WA1HLR, Don - K4KYV, and Ken - N9IPQ. Started with Tim around 11:30PM CT and we all signed off around 3:00AM CT.

Signals were killer, Don was at a carrier level of around +40dB over 0, Tim at around +10dB over 0, and Ken was at about -10dB below 0 (approx S7) ... and my Hallicrafters R-274 is stingy with it's Carrier Level meter!

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

And after we signed out, Henry down in GA called me. We had a brief exchange, but I signed out. It was way past even my bedtime.

4. W3RSW

W3RSW Ham Member QRZ Page

VJB, nice QSO this October afternoon on 7290 with you. Now we're up to date on all kinds of things and hopefully not
    overheard on an unnamed Zoom site. ho ho. Your signal was strong, your voice was Optimoded. ! ;)
    My regards to your Frau too.
    =Rick

WA3VJB likes this.
  5. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6. W2BTK

W2BTK Ham Member QRZ Page

In QSO with W2VW & KC2UDZ on 3885 khz now. Dave is running his Johnson 500, Ken his Class E homebrew and myself the IQ modulated Rohde and Schwarz exciter.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

On now 14.286 with Maurice, W4MBU...AM

8. AC0OB

Had a nice QSO with Don K4KYV late last night about 12:30 or so.

I was doing some testing on one of the SG modulated rigs and thinking that the conditions were so poor that no one would hear me anyway. :)

Don jumped in and gave me some details on his antenna systems which I had not known about.

As usual, his HF-300 PP rig sounded very good and conditions were much better than first thought as we were able to copy each other without any serious fades or noise.

Pheel

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. AC0OB

Well, 40 meters was fairly active tonight. Made contact with Larry, KH6ITY, in NM running a DX-60 and a HR-10 receiver.

QSB reared its ugly head and his power level so low it was in the noise at times so we had to cut it short. I was using my HT-40 into an amp and was armchair copy into NM.

Pheel

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

40 m. is the place to be now that summer is basically full on. I've listened to 75 and mostly given up. Between bad band condx due to upswing in the solar cycle, and unending storm QRN, 75 m. is almost useless in the evenings, with the exception of working someone across town. But on 40 m. I've had some success with 100 w. and a D104 an hour or two before sunset. 40 seems to be getting more solid and more like it used to be. 75 m. is okay at sunrise because a lot of the storms have died out during the cooler night temperatures.

On 40, which partly seems to be a different set of operators, I've been hearing mention of the "AM window" notion, and that AM operators have to squeeze themselves up into the top 10 kc of the band. This is false and misleading.