AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Had some great QSO's this weekend on 75m so the band isn't completely washed out as yet. Prior QSO's or attempted QSO's during the winter were hampered by noise and severe QSB.

On Saturday afternoon I had a quad QSO with Ed, N3LHB (homebrew 4-125/4-250 rig), WA1SSJ (ClassE rig), and KB9WLF (unknown rig).

Last night Tim WA1HLR (Junctstun 600 rig) and I had a QSO for about an hour and a half after midnight. As I went QRT, Don K4KYV picked up the conversation but I had to go get some shut-eye. Sorry Don, maybe another time. Both Tim and Don had a 35 "over" signal into the Cedar Rapids area with excellent modulation.

I had done some further upgrades to my Knight T-150, mostly to the speech amplifier, modulation circuit and VFO. Modulation is really good now with modified feedback (purely DC now) from the screen modulator to the second stage speech amp. I can now get up to 50 Watts AM carrier if needed but usually run about 20 watts into the Henry 2K-4.

The VFO was modified to improve spectral content and to prevent FMing. One change to prevent FMing was a change in the OA2 regulator resistor to 3.9k to reduce voltage variability during VFO operation. After tune-up, one still has to tweak the VFO frequency because of reflected loading on the VFO. After tweaking, the VFO remains stable and on frequency. Another improvement was the replacement of the 12BY7A grid resistor to a 15k 1W value since it had drifted up to 19k

Allied should have added a Cathode Follower stage between the VFO and the Buffer/Oscillator, IMHO. Maybe a further/future improvement? I am seriously thinking about placing a 6C4 CF stage between the VFO and the 6CL6 Buffer/Oscillator.

Pheel

WA3VJB and (deleted member) like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a nice AM QSO this morning with Jamie, N2VJ mobile in Indiana on 7.290. He was running a FT-450D which sounded very good on AM along with the stock mic. He traveling back home to NY and should be on again this afternoon.

3. KA4UPC

KA4UPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening tonight on 7290 with a HiQ loop and heard N4RXV loud and clear. I love AM high fidelity.

WA3VJB likes this.
  4. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had my first ever AM QSO (24 years of ham-ness for me) last night with KW9R in Wisconsin. I've been listening to AM activity in the last few weeks because I'm really interested in trying new stuff, and he was calling CQ so I decided to answer. My TS-570S automatically dials the power down to 25, so I was all set. Reached out with my 25W and my 1/4-wave 40m stealth wire vertical. We had a quick QSO before fading and noise took over. I'm glad to have made it on my first attempt, and will continue listening and experimenting. 73 de Jeff, KF5KWO

WA3VJB, AC0OB, AD5HR and 2 others like this.
  5. AC0OB

We will have another 40m attempt tonight at around 7:00 PM cdst on or around 7.290.

Pheel

WA3VJB likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a few AM contacts over the weekend on 7285,7290,7295. Heard a few contest stations (SSB) but not a problem. On during the day and early evening 40 meters mostly.

AC0OB likes this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Monday 8pm 7289Kc underway
    K3SQP Frank
    KB3RHR Craig
    VE3OWV Nick
    N3TBW Brian
    KC8WVH Dave
    N4RXV Joe

AC0OB Phil around 6:30pm EDT

8. AC0OB

I turned on the Mohawk at about 7:00PM and faintly heard N3TBW and N4RXV (Radio X-Ray Vision) but we had some thunderstorms moving through the area with a lot of lightning and static crashes so I had to cut the switch. Maybe better conditions will prevail Wed. night.

Pheel

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Party in the 40m ghetto tonight (7.290) on the East coast.

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I'm on 40m. Just fijnished up on 7290 with W5JAY. Running a SS 80/40 with 275W carrier.