AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night it started about 7:00 PM CST and usually goes to 9:00PM but we had so many operators we went to after 10:00PM.

Pheel

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

And if the queue gets too long, or some stations can't copy others, why don't some participants break away from the main frequency and QSY down to the nearest clear spot (7270-7278 or vicinity - no need to crowd AM QSOs to 5 kc/s of each other), and far enough away from any SSB or BC QRM, expanding the AM presence to more than just a single frequency?

I sometimes monitor large AM roundtables, but choose to just monitor because I don't want to get into a fixed rotation and wait ≥ 30 minutes to transmit.

I hear wide open swathes of idle phone band spectrum throughout the evening - dead band!, but then an occasional station a few hundred miles away pops in like blockbusters, indicating good band condx but no-one transmitting. With current propagation condx, 40m could be the new 20m.

AG5CK and WD4IGX like this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So 8:00 PM Eastern then.

I'll try to check in some time. Mondays are generally right out as I work both day and nights, have a morning meeting and then get what sleep I can and go back to work network maintenance Monday night, but either Wednesday or Friday may be do-able. Byron is pretty close in for 40m that time of day for me and the band may be too long for that particular contact but I can try.

4. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

In my case I am rock bound from 7.875 to 7.295 on the HT-40.

Joe does a pretty good job and I have never had to wait more than about 3 minutes to give a transmission.

I too would like to see more 'spread' as well on all the bands and there is nothing preventing any of us from starting up a general discussion anywhere.

We have only to alert others of the frequency and to have the will and time to do so.

Pheel

5. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

If AM usage is expected to grow then the real estate needs to grow with it. It’s time to break out of the “AM Window” sandbox.

WD4IGX, MM0IMC, AD5HR and 2 others like this.
  6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

People have been saying that for years but nothing ever happens because everyone knows to look for AM activity in the window.
    Is everyone going to tune around the entire band to find a CQ?
    Not me.

You look for CW from 3500 to 3580, not so much on 3950....
    I think the digital guys have a hangout above the CW guys.

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The “AM Window” is a great place to start, but AM shouldn’t end there also. Rather than trying to squeeze the entire mode within a 20kc slot, ops should consider taking their conversations elsewhere.

I’ve frequently been in conversations that moved due to interference, and that could include any phone frequency. Or, regulars could simply agree to meet outside of the usual safe space.

But you’re right. It’s just talk until someone does it.

K4KYV and WD4IGX like this.
  8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, no problem moving someplace and an advantage would be no one is going to break in as no one will be looking for AM out of the usual spots.
    If they have an SDR set wide they might see it.
    I remember having SO much fun cranking the R390a around the bands....

While fooling around in the shack, I often set a receiver on 3885 to catch any action.
    A glance at the sdr will show anything from 3870 to 3890 where AM frequently is.

Another problem is some people park in spots and expect to meet up with their friends.
    Its true no one owns a frequency, but they sort of do....move to 'their' frequency is going to start trouble.
    Some just hang out in a spot, you may not hear anything for 10 minutes but call CQ and they all wake up and protest...the frequency is in use!

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

When the FCC first expanded the 75m phone band all the way to 3600, a lot of AM activity appeared below 3800. A few ops even upgraded to Extra so they could operate "down below". For a while, regular AM activity could be heard all over the expanded band. Comments were frequently heard about how great the new frequencies were, less QRM, less nonsense, etc. But once the novelty wore off, AM activity dwindled, as one by one, ops tucked their tails and migrated back to their old stomping grounds. Now, AM activity is seldom heard below 3800, or even below 3870. Occasionally, I still hear some activity on 3705, which for a while had become a busy AM hangout.
    AKA Dead Air Groups.
    Just monitoring a frequency is not the same thing as using it.
    Sometimes, the frequency may have been vacant for a lot longer than 10 minutes, then someone inadvertently tunes up, calls CQ or starts a QSO with a non-member of the group and is instantly blasted with rudeness and profanity that the frequency is in use. That kind of response may provoke me to stay parked on that frequency when otherwise I would have had no problem QSYing. I refuse to recognise dead air groups.

AG5CK likes this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet one more reason to have more fiya in a hiya wiya. When planting your flag and laying claim to a spot, a low dipole and 5 watt QRP rig won't hold the frequency. The fortress needed is power, processing and a decent antenna.