AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree, Sunday afternoon & pre-sunset evening was very enjoyable.
    I was around 7280-85kc to stay out of the way of the guys on '95.
    My path was between Maryland and the lower southeast, and signals were strong and stable.

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Propagation was good enough last night that I had a conv. with Rick, VE3RNK in Hamilton, Ontario Canada, on 3.880 MHz.

He was using his Icom 7610 into an Ameritron AL80B and was over S9 most of the time. He had the rig's audio in fine shape and it sounded really good.

BTW, has anyone heard this constant carrier on 3.879.50 of late?

Pheel

3. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Did anyone catch last night’s “Extraterrestrial & Supernatural Net” on Live ‘85?

Epic stories of glowing blue hands protruding from closets and ceilings plus detailed paranormal tracking and communication. I believe it was recorded.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I have noticed some of the quasi-CB slopbucket chaos channels, like 7200 and 3860, may be pre-recorded. I happened to tune by the other night when the nonsense was in full swing, with 2, 3 or more operators talking over each other, insulting and cussing at each other, jamming and one pretending to preach religion. But periodically, as if someone had thrown a switch, the whole channel would go silent for a few seconds, then start back with full-blown multi-station chaos. It occurred to me that this was a staged recording or a recording of a previous episode that one operator was playing back. They would go silent periodically as the operator stood by to listen if they had successfully stirred up anything on the frequency. Since slopbucket operates without a carrier it can be difficult to tell if multiple stations are transmitting over each other, or if the whole thing is a recording played over a single transmitter.

5. AC0OB

Now the constant carrier is on 3,865 kelocycles.

Pheel

6. W9JSW

W9JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw that constant carrier this evening, again...Phil.

I listen to AM while building my 2x 813 X 2x 813 rig.

Was listening on 7.295 this morning around 9am. A bloke from England was on AM. Said he was running 160W of carrier. I could hear him perfectly. Could not hear the other side of the QSO, however.

Today was the first time I saw the QRZ front page N0NBH banner showing 80-40 as good both day and night.

Maybe we are coming out of this solar low? Hope springs eternal.

John

AC0OB likes this.
  7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a lot more where that came from:

https://www.vmars.org.uk/

K5UJ likes this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if he was operating legally. The amateur band in the UK and the rest of Region 1 is only 7000-7200 kHz. 7200-7300 is allocated to broadcasting.

Broadcast use of this segment has greatly diminished in recent years; perhaps he was operating with some kind of special permission?

9. AC0OB

This may have been mentioned before but there is a 40 Meter informal AM gathering every Monday, Wed. and Friday night on 7.290 MHz (conditions permitting), hosted by Joe, N4RXV, down in Byron Georgia.

Tonight we had about 10 operators coming and going at various times. Conditions were generally good with some QSB.

Pheel

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What time?