AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I took today off from work so that I could chase sporadic E on 6 and 10. I'll be spot checking and calling CQ on 50.400 from time to time today and for the rest of the weekend. I realize sideband is heavily favored amongst the phone ops, but I'd like to see what I can do on AM.

AC0OB and N6YW like this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I spoke with Dennis, N0SP in Golden Co. and Kevin, WA6JKN in Gilroy Ca., on 14.330 before the band went short (about 9:45 CDST).

I never liked DST either. Let's go down to 2 time zones for the US with the Rocky Mountains separating the two for about 5 years, and then abandon the "zones" altogether.

Pheel

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, in some states where people are fed up with switching clocks, they want to stay on DST year round. IMO a wrong-headed approach. The sun should be at its highest point in the sky at 12:00 noon, give or take a half hour or so if you live near the eastern or western edge of the time zone.

Michigan has double DST. Back during WWII, the whole country went to what they called "War Time", advancing the clocks an hour year round (for whatever that was supposed to accomplish). When the war was over, MI decided to keep advanced time by switching from Central to Eastern time. When they started the DST nonsense nationwide, MI did not opt out, and now advances their clock still another hour in summer.

4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I had the Valiant on 20M it set an antenna knife switch on fire.

Imagine that. First time ever that smoke and flames emanated from *outside* a Valiant during use.

N6YW, AC0OB, K0OKS and 1 other person like this.