AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

With the long-skip propagation on 75m, even stations I consider relatively distant are skipping over. Last night a station near Chicago was barely audible. The other night N8ZRD near Dayton OH was completely inaudible. OTOH, signals from greater distances sometimes come in S9 or plus. Timtron was a solid S9 last night running a little 15-watt transmitter! No QRN from heavy thunderstorms that had just passed through a couple of hours earlier; the static crashes evidently were skipping right over me, but 160 was a solid wall of QRN.

https://www.change.org/p/eliminate-daylight-savings-time

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Don the band goes long and stays there. Sunday morning I became the "intermittent net control" of the Florida AM group, when, because of DST, 75m was still in nighttime long mode at 6am when folks began to gather. At around 6:30, the scheduled start on 3885Kc, the regular anchor invited me to take a set of check-ins that he could follow along with since I was hearing everyone from farther out. By the time the band shortened at 7:15+ he already had a couple dozen stations underway.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Since a majority of the folks in the AM groups (actually, ham radio groups in general) these days are old retired farts like me, and most of us no longer are forced to live by the alarm clock, why pay any attention to DST in the choice of hours to operate the radio? Stick with UTC/GMT. No more of that endless clock-changing nonsense.

KF5KWO, WZ5Q, AC0OB and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Zulu rules!

73DG

W8KHK likes this.
  5. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

As stated by a gentleman fortunate enough to never have to roll his MST clock back nor forward! Ahh, the joys of living in the great state of ARIZONA!

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

20 has been open at night, and 40 meters was booming with East coast guys last night.
    Tim (HLR) was super strapping Tuesday night at 10 pm!

7. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Calling CQ on 14.286 from St Louis, MO... Not hearing much.