ad: UR5CDX-1

AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AM is like good whisky.

SSB is like cough syrup.

The first is a well funded choice.

The second is cheap, but necessary if yer ailin'.

73DG

N2YKX, AC0OB and WD4IGX like this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last several nights condx on 160 have been great. from around 7 to 9 p.m. local time propagation has been solid over a 400 mile path roughly and less. East of the Mississippi QRN has been nonexistent. Check out around 1880 and 1980. I imagine the band gets even better after 8 or 9 p.m. but I can't stay up that late.

3. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

why put 150 watts into the air when only 50 [8db] is used? but whatever.......de lck

4. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use any mode I can find good conversation on.

If you went to an antique car show and told the guys there they should trade those old rust buckets in for a modern fuel efficiency vehicle you'd get some strange looks. That's what AM is to me. If i drove my ham radio to work every day I'd feel differently.

CW is inefficient compared to more modern digital modes but I don't think the people using it are foolish.

K4EI likes this.
  5. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Look for a friend of mine, Joe, evenings on 7293. He's in Mexico, and active as XE2/W7ISJ. I don't know how long he's down there but I'm presuming for a few weeks.

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Must be an AM event or something...

W1TRY likes this.
  7. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two of those ASE badges.

K9ASE likes this.
  8. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Band conditions were interesting last night on 75, started going long probably around 730, a good opening to the middle of the country, then around 930 everything started pulling back in and local stations up to about 300 to 500 miles were booming in. I suspect this probably happens a lot more often than people realize, but once the band starts going long they shut down and don't hang out till the band settles back down. Last night's high activity allowed this effect to be explored. W1AW had a good pileup going on 3885, AJ1G was running 3875, and i had 3869 to myself for almost 2 hours, even had a pileup or 2 of my own. Quite a variety of rigs: homebrew, military, vintage amateur, broadcast, modern solid state rigs (both barefoot and amplified). A great relaxed operation, get the exchange info, have a chat, then turn it over to the next guy. And having a good conversation starter makes it fun, quite a few guys i worked never heard of or saw an 814 tube before and had to look it up, not a tube you see often.

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Talking to folks on the high side of 40m now. Good signals around the East.

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

March 3, ~22:00z
    Nice chat with Will KF2IZE in NC on his HT-32. Nice sounding rig! Lots of signals on the air tonight. Am ghetto up near 7.290 is clear and ready for more.