AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I spoke with Bob, W9EID sunday night on 3.885 and found that he was the one playing the organ at the Fox Theater where I used to take my High School main squeeze on dates.

Bob was listening on his Mosley CM-1 and I on my HK Mohawk.

It was interesting to find that John Clemens, an aerospace engineer at McDonnell Aircraft Compay then, and a ham, designed the CM-1 receiver:

http://www.mcrn3885.net/radiopix/mosley/mosley.htm and which had no RF stage but got its gain from a lot of .
    IF stages.

Pheel

2. AC0OB

Spoke with Tim, WA1HLR, about midnight. It was a case where neither one of use could sleep so we got on the radio and exchanged technical stuff.:D

Apparently Tim is still battling the effects of Lyme disease so we hope a full recovery for him.

Pheel

N1BCG likes this.
  3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

How high in frequency did it go, and how did it work up there?
    You don't need an RF amp below 20 meters if using a good antenna, even with very simple low gain designs.

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

This week has had the best conditions so far this fall from the SE. No static, decent propagation on 75m. It will only get better.

5. AC0OB

Huh?

Pheel

6. AC0OB

N2DTS: If you are referring to the Mosley CM-1 I have never owned one, but below is the manual which says it covers 80 through 10 meters.

In terms of Sensitivity, Page 2, it says has a 1/2 uV for 10 dB, S/N sensitivity at 10m.

Pheel

Attached Files:

7. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

QSO Tonight with my brother on short haul skip at 160 miles.

8. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Using AM is exactly like buying a car with a bigger gas tank because you like to pay for gas... de k2lck

9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is tangential to activity--we had an ice storm Sunday night; wx forecast called it a blizzard but it turned out to be around six hours of freezing rain then snow in the wee hours of the morning. Then the temperature stayed down below freezing enough and long enough so that nothing melted this week. I came home from work tonight and saw that antenna condx slowly turning to normal. All my dipoles got pulled down but fortunately no wires broke. That's because this one anchor in the ground holding rope through a pulley to raise and lower the feedpoint of my 80 m. dipole and one end of 20 m. dipole came up out of the ground due to the weight of the ice on the antenna. I was kind of torqued off about this until I realized that the loose anchor may have prevented a busted antenna or buckled mast. Still QRT. This storm tracked east across Iowa and the Great Lakes. Hope no operators in its path had any antenna damage. We usually just get snow around here or maybe a very minor amount of ice unlike folks elsewhere. I got off lucky--no downed trees, just lots of pine cones and needles.

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

How does a large fuel tank make the engine burn more fuel? You're still buying the same amount of fuel but have to fill up less often. It does weigh more than the smaller tank when full but that's really splitting hairs.

I get what you're saying though. SSB is like having to turn off the A/C to pass someone or drive over a hill without blocking traffic. I agree.