ad: KF7PMW-1

AM Activity Now!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sunday morning 4:30am, nice QSO on 3885Kc with KW4RS, José near Tampa. His FT101E →Alpha amp sounds great! EV RE20 mic into the Yaesu with TimTron audio mods. He said he also had tried the RE27 but likes look of the '20 better! Hey, it's all about what you wanna run! He and Floyd N5OYA were going to exercise the frequency until the Florida AM Net got going around 6-6:30am. With decent power we really didn't notice any static crashes.

2. WD9ENB

WD9ENB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not HF, but the Fulton County (NW Ohio) club has a 6 meter AM net on the first Wednesday of every month at 50.400. Other Wednesdays are different modes. This happens at 9PM Eastern (re: http://k8bxq.org/sixpack).

3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

20 meters is also open as I had a couple of QSO's up there on 14.328 this afternoon.

Phiul

4. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The propagation was exceptional this morning between Florida and Louisiana on 3885Kc. I was able to have a QSO thru the QRN with no problems. Charles, W4WAM and Jose, KW4RS were kind enough to let me break into their QSO at around 1:30am CST.

Charles, WA4WAM had a tremendous signal into Central Louisiana of S9+. The reception was Q5 and his modulation was really punching thru the QRN having great sounding fidelity with just the right amount of density. The audio profile he had set up on his Anon 7000 was optimal for the conditions. Good Job Charles!

Jose, KW4RS also had a whopping S9+ signal and his reception was Q5. His Yaesu 101E was cutting thru the static pretty doggone good. Great to talk to ya Jose!

Jeff, N5ECP broke into the QSO at about 2:15am CST with a huge S9+ signal. He was Q5 thru the QRN using what he calls his "Roy Rodgers Lunchbox" transmitter, a TS-2000. He had that "shack-in-the-box" set up well. Sounded great Jeff!

WA3VJB likes this.
  5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Just had a great QSO on 3.875 with Dave, W2VW up in Nu Jousy. Strong signal and great audio from his Johnson KW.

Lightning crashes were mounting toward the end of the contact.

Now, if'n the storms would only die out and with propagation improving, things should be better.

Pheel

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got on 75m this evening. Had a great time with W2JBL, WA1HLR, WB2RON, and a host of others I haven't spoken to on-the-air in almost a decade. Conditions where quite good early on, and of course faded as the night progressed.

25 watts on a Flex 5000a, and the audio reports came fast and furious. Loved it.

Now to get the HL-2200 on the air so I'm not PW. Although I guess 10-over reports isn't to bad on 25W carrier. Guess the dipole is working well.

WA3VJB and AD5HR like this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

QRN has subsided somewhat, and 160m has been active the past couple of nights, 1880 and 1885. Also heard Butch and Cactus on 1980.

8. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent conditions on 3885Kc Saturday night 10-11:30PM EDT.
    WZ8J, WA2PJP, WA3YTN, W3EMD, KR4IN, N1ALF and W1SNE on a wide variety of transmitters from a T368E to a DX40, and we all could hear one another! Fall-Winter Radio Season, 2018 !!!:)

9. W2WDX

Got my "Baby" Gates (M-5078) 50W input transmitter on the air last night for the first on-air shake down. Worked great all night with no crap-outs. Paul WA3VJB was kind enough to make a recording of a WebSDR in Pennsylvania. I have a little work to improve the audio, was hitting the baseline a bit and I could hear that. Thanks Paul, very useful.

Worked quite a number of stations all night and condition were very good until about midnight EST. Noise was low as well with little static.

WA3VJB likes this.
  10. W2WDX

I was continuing doing some on-air testing of the Baby Gates tonight. Conditions went long on 75m very early. However shortly after, I had some very long (both distance and duration) conversations with stations further out than normal on 3.880.

Steve, @K0SF in Minnesota on his Collins 20V-3 was a solid 10 over. Same for Scott, @KB3RQU in Pennsylvania. Had a very nice QSO with Bob, @K9EID and traded war stories about working live audio in the music biz. Seems we may have crossed paths a few times at some shows years back. Bob (yes that Bob) was on his Eico 720/730 rig and sounding great. Turns out I had the same conversation with Scott just moments before. Seems it was a night for us audio road dogs to find each other on the air on AM. Fun night.

Seems like propagation was perfect for AM communications between 250 to 1100 miles out on 75M.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    WA3VJB and WZ5Q like this.