Aluminum or Fiber glass mast

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KK4QYN, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4QYN

KK4QYN Ham Member QRZ Page

If I use a metal mast and put it 4 feet into the ground will that work as a good ground?

2. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

NH7RO likes this.
  3. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought one of these aluminum surplus masts from tmastco.com, in large part because you recommend them. They're really cool. I'm going to build a mast launcher for it, although that's on hold because my current project is a wire antenna designed for my Spiderpole.

NH7RO likes this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have all of my aluminum surplus masts I bought back in the late 1990s at the Livermore Swap---although I don't use too many of them now in my HOA situation I will continue to save them for that "rainy day" when we move elsewhere. They are essentially worth their weight in gold when it comes to hilltopping, fixed portable and easy back yard installations. I mounted a couple of big bolts with PVC conduit coverings bolted to my heavy-duty roof rack---these serve as quick mounts for a few mast sections with a Yagi at the top. I used to work the UHF Contest with a long-boom 432 Yagi and 6 or 7 sections atop my car---wish I had a photo to post here for a laugh.

K6CLS likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard of that one and never attended it (well, I do live over 350 miles south of there...) but imagine due to its proximity to Silicon Valley, Stanford, Lawrence Livermore Labs and lots of cool stuff it probably has a good amount of unusual stuff, including laboratory test equipment. The TRW meet in Redondo Beach does, too -- mostly due to the very close proximity of all the aerospace companies who somehow have a lot of gear fall off trucks.:p
    They're all painted olive drab, at least all the ones I have are, so they blend in pretty well with stuff including forestation. I actually had 40' of that stuff up "in the trees" when I had a rental town house about 30 years ago, supporting a multiband (trapped) inverted vee for 40/20/15/10m and the vee wires were also dark green insulation, with dark green insulators and dark green kevlar rope and amazingly nobody knew it was there for a year! I knew where to look, evidently nobody else did.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the Livermore Swap was about over by the time we left California in 2001. It was held at a community college parking lot and was always a great joy to attend. I bought my first 6m capable rig there, a mint TS-690SAT, as well as the surplus masts and loads of other goodies over about a 5 year period. Don't know why it ended but things have a habit of changing over time.

I often heard about the TRW Swap down your way on the Bay Area repeaters chit-chat and always wanted to check it out. So many ham swaps/fests, so little time...

7. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A buddy of mine grew up in the Livermore valley. He was a huge fan of Wente vineyards, and I always look for it if I'm in a bottle store.