ad: elecraft

Aluminum Body Vehicles - Antenna Options?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K5KMY, Oct 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So I just happened to see one of these mounts https://www.pciraceradios.com/products/brake-light-antenna-mount?variant=2093148569609 as referenced above on a brand new pickup truck (an aluminum F 150) just put in service by a fire department in the region. It was serving as the mount for a VHF quarterwave since that is the portion of the spectrum the fire department uses. By chance I had my VHF/UHF power/swr meter with me and asked if I could check the swr on the antenna. The fire Captain said sure. I also measured the length of the quarter wave before running the SWR test to make sure it was cut correctly. It was. I then ran the test. SWR was 4.1:1 but per the Captain the radio worked "OK". I suspect since there is little groundplane actually under the antenna given the mount's location achieving a good SWR might be difficult. The fire department uses just one frequency. A 2 meter ham radio 144-148 megs just might have a problem

KK9W likes this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've already posted photos of my 2 meter Diamond NR22L on a Breedlove stake pocket mount and how I mounted an adjustable lip mount on the inside lip of the bed rail for my dual band antenna.

I have been swapping feedlines and antennas so I can use the Breedlove mount for my ATAS-120 but it's a pain in the ATAS and the shock/vibe plus wind shear at the rear of the bed is a bit much for the fragile screwdriver antenna.

I think I'm going to pick up another type of mount from Breedlove. This one puts it behind the cab with only a few inches of the coil above the roof and it won't be positioned directly over the suspension and getting bounced around.

https://breedlovemounts.com/store/ols/products/front-bed-rail-bracket-4-inches-above-the-bed-rail