Aluminum Body Vehicles - Antenna Options?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KI5KMY, Oct 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of aluminum vehicles

No big deal

For larger antennas use an aluminum backing plate

Use dielectric grease on ground connections including the NMO mount. Available in the electric department at home centers for use on aluminum wiring

Drill or punch carefully, easier to end up with an oversize hole than in steel

For the F150/F250 there are fender mount options that fit between the hood and the front fender. I have one of these because I use the roof for kayaks, and it works OK

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

20200229_155214_Film3.jpg
    This is a standard trunk lip mount turned vertical by adjusting the mount on its axis and clamped on the inside lip of the bed of my F-150. Works great and has been there for 3 years. On the other side of the bed is a stake pocket mount from Breedlove. No holes drilled and I paid maybe $25 for the adjustable lip mount.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    N3RYB likes this.
  3. N4WFB

N4WFB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had similar concerns, but mainly because I occasionally drive into parking decks with minimum clearance. With the increased body size of these new trucks, it would be hard to get to the NMO to remove my antenna.

I bought one of the fender mount brackets, but I'm not impressed. After mounting it solidly, it tends to rotate around the mounting bolt, even with a star washer. I will soon be drilling the front fender for an NMO mount, nearly exactly opposite of the AM/FM radio antenna. It will look balanced and with a VHF/UHF Larsen antenna, will be nearly the same height as the existing AM/FM antenna.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

Just back it up using a Vienna Sausage can.

5. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I put three 1/8" aluminum rivets through mine into the fender, sideways, just under the lip of the hood, where you can't see them when the hood is closed. Better stability all around and keeps the bracket from rubbing on the hood.

6. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed two in a 2018 F150 SuperCrew yesterday. Used an NMO hole saw. Center middle ridge. Same stuff, different truck, no big deal.

Attached Files:

7. K4RUX

K4RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an aluminum bodied, F-150. I installed a steel toolbox in the bed, and mounted a Sirio Performer 5000 magnetic mount for 10m use.

8. KC9OO

KC9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

The accessory market has come up with an antenna mount that attaches to the brake light on the back of the cab. I have a Ford Ranger and, while I don’t use it, the bracket looks strong enough. Your remove the light, place the mount against the cab and then reinstall the light over it. On the Ranger forum folks have had good luck with this.

I don’t know what type of truck you’re looking at but I’m sure somebody makes a mount like this for it.