ad: chuckmartin

Alternative Radio Power source

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0KLB, Aug 24, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Kevin! Wow! I really liked your video for several reasons.
    First, it was very entertaining, from beginning to end.
    Second, the radio set-up was very interesting and you were getting out very well.
    Third, I was born in Des Moines and I have relatives all around Iowa. Looking at those cornfields brought back a lot of fond memories. One of my uncles had (maybe still does) have a small farm just out side of Des Moines (Desoto) IIRC. I spent a lot of time in the summers in the late 1970's running wild with my cousins at their farm. My cousins all thought I was crazy because I liked doing farm chores...

So, those early evening shots with the fire going and the fireflies sure hit me; haven't seen fireflies in many, too many, decades...

Anyway, Kevin thanks for a very nice video...

73 Gary WG7X

N4GST likes this.
  2. K0KLB

K0KLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Brannon.. Good idea.. a battery would provide a buffer as you described.. I guess my intent with this experiment was to look at a solution to a long term crisis where I don't have any useful batteries (wore out/wont take a charge) and there is no electricity.. I wanted to see if this set up alone would provide enough power to run the radio idle as well as transmit.. With the power efficiency of these new radios, it had no problem doing both.. At least I can get on the air for a little while, till I run out of steam then my XYL can take the seat, LOL.. Thanks again for your comment and discussion.. Good Luck with your project to build one as well.. 73, Kevin ~ k0klb

KC7ZXY and N4GST like this.
  3. K0KLB

Hi Gary .. Thanks for your kind comments.. I'm glad you were entertained and it brought back good memories.. That's awesome.. There are other videos on my YouTube channel "Ham Radio QRP - K0KLB" regarding farm "stuff" for antennas you might be interested to see how they work or don't work.. Feel free to look them over too.. Also, at the bottom (scroll to the bottom) of my QRZ page is a farming harvest video I produced with my older brothers you might like too.. Thanks for taking the time to comment.. I enjoyed reading about your memories.. 73, Kevin ~ k0klb

N4GST likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Want a real eye opener? Devise a larger generator - human powered - and run a 100 watt radio off it. That extra oomph needed when you started transmitting with 5 watts will seem like nothing when compared to transmitting at 100 watts output.

Were more folks able to try powering such a set up, they'd instantly gain a real appreciation for the energy required to produce power - something many of us take for granted as we nonchalantly flip up the switch.
    I'm thinking one of those supercapacitors/ultracapacitors might provide receive time (or more) power to give the legs a rest when not transmitting.

K0KLB and N4GST like this.
  5. K0KLB

Hello Jeffrey.. That's a great idea to use a Capacitor to keep the radio powered and allow for a break/rest.. even if it was only for a few minutes.. Thanks for watching.. 73, Kevin ~ k0klb

6. KD5ALD

KD5ALD Ham Member QRZ Page

K0KLB likes this.
  7. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if Doritos would be different?

KJ7OMD and K0KLB like this.
  8. K0KLB

Hahaha.. I wanted Doritos, but the XYL bought Cheetos instead, LOL.. but Doritos was my first choice.. I figured they would be worth a 3 to 6 db gain cause I would eat more of those, LOL.. k0klb

KJ7OMD, KC7ZXY, KM4RJF and 1 other person like this.
  9. N5WLH

N5WLH Ham Member QRZ Page

we have something new and exciting EBOTA exercise bikes on the air, you could activate a weight watchers meeting

K0KLB likes this.
  10. W3UEC

W3UEC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My favorite human powered QRP source is a copper plate under my right armpit and a zinc one under my left. Works best in warm weather.

11. K0KLB

That's an interesting concept.. I never heard of that.. I think I'll stand upwind in case you start venting gas to relieve any pressure build up, LOL..

KC7ZXY likes this.
  12. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

With the extreme cool factor of this aside, I think I will always have a charged battery and a solar panel with me at all times! :rolleyes:

K0KLB likes this.
  13. K0KLB

Hi Mike.. I agree with you totally.. A battery and solar panel works great.. I guess I was looking for a solution for if we ever had a long term crisis with no electricity, batteries were not available and the ones I owned were old, wore out and would not hold a charge any longer.. Not that it will ever happen, but I know that if that particular situation arose, I'd still be able to get on the air.. Not sure who I'd talk to, LOL.. Thanks for your comment..

14. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool and fun!

What next? Grow citrus fruit, then make batteries from the juice and dissimilar metals! haha

K0KLB likes this.
  15. W0DKM

W0DKM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kevin, I'm thinking You should Not be left alone for long periods of time.
    Really enjoyed your video. Brilliant....

KJ7OMD and K0KLB like this.